• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 month rule

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 month rule

hi

i am in a 6 month contract which been extended once and likely to be extended again ( hopefully) but no one knows for sure ...

my question is in regards to expenses and 24 month rules...
    if contract is extended agand and again and goes beyond 24 month , lets say 28 month ... will all my past expenses become invalid ?

or its just that i cant claim more expenses from date when contreact goes beyond 24 month until 28th?

thanks

Originally posted by namnadasht View Post
    hi

i am in a 6 month contract which been extended once and likely to be extended again ( hopefully) but no one knows for sure ...

if contract is extended agand and again and goes beyond 24 month , lets say 28 month ... will all my past expenses become invalid ?

or its just that i cant claim more expenses from date when contreact goes beyond 24 month until 28th?

thanks
    Jeez...

Comment

hi

thanks
      You should cease claiming for travel expenses at the point that you expect to exceed 24 months. Past claims up to this point can still be claimed.

For example - If your contract is for 18 months and after 15 months you are offered a 12 month extension, you should cease claiming from the 15th month onwards as this is the point that the expectation arose.

I hope this helps.

Martin

Comment

Martins post of course gives a strong hint as to the dates you might like to be negotiating extension for in order to delay expectation of 24 months being exceeded until the last minute.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
          Martins post of course gives a strong hint as to the dates you might like to be negotiating extension for in order to delay expectation of 24 months being exceeded until the last minute.
          I find this interesting. I am curious to know the views of contractors on this. If you are in a position where you can negotiate the term of the contract, how much term would you sacrafice to enable more travel claims? For example, if you were to extend from 12 to 23 months instead of 24, do contractors generally consider it a worthwhile risk to sacrafice say, a months income, in order to claim travel for an additional 11 months?

Comment

Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post
            I find this interesting. I am curious to know the views of contractors on this. If you are in a position where you can negotiate the term of the contract, how much term would you sacrafice to enable more travel claims? For example, if you were to extend from 12 to 23 months instead of 24, do contractors generally consider it a worthwhile risk to sacrafice say, a months income, in order to claim travel for an additional 11 months?
            I was under the impression that irrational and inconsistent dates like this would be inspected carefully by HMRC so make sure you had not just done it for the sake of the 24 month rule. So if you have several 3 monthly extensions and then a 2 month and 3 week one HMRC might call you on it. I suppose the test would be that they would ask the client about the dates and see if they got a valid business reason in reply.
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

If it was that much time I might consider it, but have never been in that situation.

I'd also be wary of telling the client "I'll extend X - 1 months because I want to be able to keep on expensing mileage". Sounds a bit greedy.

Comment

hi

thanks
                How come you actually know what the rule is called but appear to be willing to do even the most basic bit of research so as not to embarrass yourself and maybe even find the answer to your question?

The Expenses section in the links to the right will explain it - http://www.contractoruk.com/expenses/
                Searching the forums will have brought up hundreds of links explaining it - http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...uk-forums.html
                Using google you will find threads explaining it - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bo...=24+month+rule
                Asking your accountant would explain it.

It must take time and effort to fail so miserably. Try re-directing that time and effort in to research next time huh.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 9 December 2013, 17:50.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  How come you actually know what the rule is called but appear to be willing to do even the most basic bit of research so as not to embarrass yourself and maybe even find the answer to your question?

The Expenses section in the links to the right will explain it
                  Searching the forums will have brought up hundreds of links explaining it
                  Using google you will find threads explaining it
                  Asking your accountant would explain it.

It must take time and effort to fail so miserably. Try re-directing that time and effort in to research next time huh.
                  I'll say it again... jeez

Comment

If I were in that situation and, dependent upon the project, I would start looking elsewhere close to the 2 year mark. If I didn't find something else then only at that point would I know that I were to stay over 2 years. Don't know what the ruling would be for that.

Not a problem I have ever had though.

Comment

Working...
                    X