• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Floor damaged during delivery

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it doesn't invade your privacy unduly, can you share a photo?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      If it doesn't invade your privacy unduly, can you share a photo?
      It's not actually terribly visible in a photo. The damage is in a stair well with no natural light and the tiles are slate effect so it is not obvious. Though it is obvious to the touch and when walking on it.

I'm not after profiting by it; but I would like an effective repair. If they can find some matching tiles then great. If not some sort of compromise will need to be found - and I'm sure we will. If tiles can be found it's probably at worst a 1 day job, so not huge.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
        It's not actually terribly visible in a photo. The damage is in a stair well with no natural light and the tiles are slate effect so it is not obvious. Though it is obvious to the touch and when walking on it.

I'm not after profiting by it; but I would like an effective repair. If they can find some matching tiles then great. If not some sort of compromise will need to be found - and I'm sure we will. If tiles can be found it's probably at worst a 1 day job, so not huge.
        Part of the problem will be that the original tiles will have faded/discoloured over time. So even if you found original tiles from the same batch, the difference will still be glaring for a while. YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Part of the problem will be that the original tiles will have faded/discoloured over time. So even if you found original tiles from the same batch, the difference will still be glaring for a while. YMMV
          I agree, so it's all a bit of a mess really. One solution may be to retile the stairwell in it's entirety (it's probably only 2 sq metres. The annoyance there though is that the same floor goes into the utility room and the kitchen and the floor is laid in a flowing manner.

The solution to that is to retile all 3 floors - but that is clearly an unreasonable expectation.

It's going to have to be some sort of negotiated settlement.

Comment

For a while... but that's probably considered acceptable. If you dropped a plate a chipped/cracked a tile yourself, you probably wouldn't replace the whole floor every time. Plus, you can artificially wear/distress a tile or two. Even colour it I would imagine, if you know how.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              For a while... but that's probably considered acceptable. If you dropped a plate a chipped/cracked a tile yourself, you probably wouldn't replace the whole floor every time. Plus, you can artificially wear/distress a tile or two. Even colour it I would imagine, if you know how.
              Agreed, in reality probably wouldn't effect any sort of repair until such point as it became truly necessary because the tiles started breakup up. But it's a bit different when somebody executing a paid for service has done it. In my limited experience trying to lift tiles for replacement is a bit of a nightmare without damaging surrounding area etc. No doubt easier for a professional tiler.

Your point about distressing it is a very good one. I hadn't though of that. With a bit of luck when their assessor finally comes this is something they can propose. I would think it should be something they have a fair bit of experience of.

4-6 weeks wait for the assessor though.

Comment

If you leave the tile in place, order a new washing machine from a more responsible company and then claim they did it.
                You might have an easier time.

Seriously though, is it worth the stress? Let's imagine that the tile takes 3 or more years to crumble, you could just redo the floor at a later time.
                Why not just ignore it. It'll save you more by not having the stress.
                Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Well, the assessor came round yesterday. Bunch of photos etc, will try to match tiling. It was he who mentioned "if we cant match the tiles we will probably have to replace all the flooring through the kitchen too".

I await the next thrilling installment.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                    Well, the assessor came round yesterday. Bunch of photos etc, will try to match tiling. It was he who mentioned "if we cant match the tiles we will probably have to replace all the flooring through the kitchen too".

I await the next thrilling installment.
                    Unless you recorded him saying it ir had a couple of other people present then don't bank on him agreeing at a later date.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Unless you recorded him saying it ir had a couple of other people present then don't bank on him agreeing at a later date.
                      I am not banking on anything. What I am hoping for is that they can match everything up and effect a repair.

I rather imagine if they cant we just get into negotiation and see where it ends up.

Comment

Working...
                      X