• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House of Lords review & IR35, PCG

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House of Lords review & IR35, PCG

IR35 Fit for Purpose? - Contractor Weekly

Why is this guy putting ideas into the goverment's heads - what an idiot...

If dividends were to be subject to NIC then, said Ramsden, the IR35 problem would evaporate
    PCG report...

https://www.pcg.org.uk/news-events/n...lect-committee
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

and

He took issue with HMRC’s ‘unhelpful’ move to refer to “computer programmers” in the consultation, despite the fact that the real vulnerable workers it claims the proposals will address are likely to be lower skilled and lower paid.

False self-employment attack puts PSCs at risk :: Contractor UK

Axing IR35 'would save contractors £843 a year' :: Contractor UK

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
      IR35 Fit for Purpose? - Contractor Weekly

Why is this guy putting ideas into the goverment's heads - what an idiot...

PCG report...

https://www.pcg.org.uk/news-events/n...lect-committee
      Dividends don't even have to be subject to NIC. If they were income taxable for individuals in the same way as earned income (i.e. without the tax credit) then that would solve it (from a perspective). If you have 100k company profit (forgetting salary for the moment), you either pay NIC + income tax or CT + income tax or a split between them.

I really don't see why going to work should be taxed more than receiving a dividend.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Dividends don't even have to be subject to NIC. If they were income taxable for individuals in the same way as earned income (i.e. without the tax credit) then that would solve it (from a perspective). If you have 100k company profit (forgetting salary for the moment), you either pay NIC + income tax or CT + income tax or a split between them.

I really don't see why going to work should be taxed more than receiving a dividend.
        That would change normal dividends received on shares traded publicly and a massive cut in income on people who invest in the stock markets.

Comment

Lets just have a flat rate of tax at 15% on absolutely everything, that'll solve loads of problems. It won't be fair of course, but never mind.....
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Dividends are the reward for Entrepreneurial Risk, that is why?
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

That would change normal dividends received on shares traded publicly and a massive cut in income on people who invest in the stock markets.
              I know. It could be balanced by a decrease in taxation on earned income.

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                Dividends are the reward for Entrepreneurial Risk, that is why?
                That is one view. Another view is that hard work should be rewarded. I know how I'd feel if I was paying PAYE, as inconvenient as that might be for us

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
                  Lets just have a flat rate of tax at 15% on absolutely everything, that'll solve loads of problems. It won't be fair of course, but never mind.....
                  The Germans nearly went for that a few years ago but chickened out due to the 'unfair' brigade.

Most evidence suggests tax take would increase as at 15% it isn't worth trying to avoid.

Comment

Don't do it for PLCs. Problem solved.

The tax credit on dividends is to recognise that CT has already been paid, so it works out about the same. So why not simplify it all and get rid of CT for very small companies and have owner/directors pay full income tax?

IR35 is really about NI, and that's an entirely separate issue.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X