• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paying CT 1 day late :emb

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying CT 1 day late :emb

Hi,

I couldn't find my chitty to pay HMRC their CT dues when I first looked and although I dug it up on 31st Dec and arranged a transfer it won't go until 2nd Jan. This means I will be a day late

Does anyone know whether they will bother to charge me the interest and mark me down as a late payer? They should actually receive the money on 2/1/2014 so it's not like anyone would have been in HMRC's office to receive the payment on 1st Jan. Or am I twisting in the wind here ?

Boo

I can't see why there would be a problem. Never found HMRC to be bothered with trivia, they are looking to recover real dosh.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      I can't see why there would be a problem. Never found HMRC to be bothered with trivia, they are looking to recover real dosh.
      Yes, I am not expecting a problem either, just wanted to know how it goes down on their records ? Really I'm just a bit annoyed with myself...

Boo2

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
        Hi,

I couldn't find my chitty to pay HMRC their CT dues when I first looked and although I dug it up on 31st Dec and arranged a transfer it won't go until 2nd Jan. This means I will be a day late

Does anyone know whether they will bother to charge me the interest and mark me down as a late payer? They should actually receive the money on 2/1/2014 so it's not like anyone would have been in HMRC's office to receive the payment on 1st Jan. Or am I twisting in the wind here ?

Boo
        The interest will be written off, I am sure of that.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the late payment either way, it won't be an issue if your payments are normally made on time.

Comment

This happened to me with a VAT return in that the DD didn't go through and by the time I realised I was a day late and just paid for it over the phone.

I think they'll perform some pomp and posture and send a letter out saying that if this happens again in the future you'll incur interest or be fined as they don't want to appear as a soft touch but tbh I've worked with people who pay VAT/PAYE NI/CT late regularly and never seem to suffer as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by Murder1 View Post
            This happened to me with a VAT return in that the DD didn't go through and by the time I realised I was a day late and just paid for it over the phone.

I think they'll perform some pomp and posture and send a letter out saying that if this happens again in the future you'll incur interest or be fined as they don't want to appear as a soft touch but tbh I've worked with people who pay VAT/PAYE NI/CT late regularly and never seem to suffer as a result.
            Yeah, IIRC, the only automatic penalty for lateness applies to the year-end accounts. However, better to avoid irritating HMRC unnecessarily

Comment

Working...
            X