• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chances of IR35 investigation on closed Ltd

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chances of IR35 investigation on closed Ltd

I closed my Ltd around two years ago since I returned to permiedom. I've kept up my PCG Plus membership so far in case of investigation, but I'm wondering how long I should keep it up for? Is an investigation likely more than two years after closing a company? Or should I keep the insurance in place for the full 6 years since it was closed?

<Awaits flaming>
    ǝןqqıʍ

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    I closed my Ltd around two years ago since I returned to permiedom. I've kept up my PCG Plus membership so far in case of investigation, but I'm wondering how long I should keep it up for? Is an investigation likely more than two years after closing a company? Or should I keep the insurance in place for the full 6 years since it was closed?

<Awaits flaming>
    I highly doubt that HMRC would seek to raise an enquiry this late on. Of the enquiries we have had for our clients, none have been for closed companies.

Perhaps PCG could confirm whether they have defended any cases like this?

Martin

Comment

I think that the PCG advice is to keep it for a year after closing, and then let it lapse.

I'd certainly drop it from PCG+ to the normal membership, since most of the benefits won't apply to you any more.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post
        I highly doubt that HMRC would seek to raise an enquiry this late on. Of the enquiries we have had for our clients, none have been for closed companies.

Perhaps PCG could confirm whether they have defended any cases like this?

Martin
        Agrees with my experience.

Comment

Are there any obvious red flags to avoid setting up when closing the company? I plan on looking for graduate roles in the next year, so I want to close the ltd company, probably at its year-end at my accountant's suggestion, which will be after I 'exit' contracting.

Comment

If that's the case would it be beneficial to close a company and start another if... ahhm you think you may have left yourself open to investigation?
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              If that's the case would it be beneficial to close a company and start another if... ahhm you think you may have left yourself open to investigation?
              No, it's artificial, and you'd also be opening yourself up to issues with the Transactions in Securities legislation.

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks, think I'll let PCG lapse at the end of this year's subscription.
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                X