• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 24 Month Rule in a nutshell

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually there isn't a great deal of work around Manchester and Leeds in my skillset. That's the problem.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
      Actually there isn't a great deal of work around Manchester and Leeds in my skillset. That's the problem.
      Which is?

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
        Which is?
        Excel Access VBA
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Sorry for jumping on this old thread, but does anyone know how the 24 month rule would work in my situation:

a) Current and previous contracts with client don't specify a workplace
          b) Depending on what project I'm working on, and manpower requirements, I could be working from any of four or five offices around the country.
          c) Last 18 months has "Mainly" been in Office A (occasional stints for a few days at offices B-E)
          d) For expense purposes I've just been claiming travel to and from Office A (since mileages average out).
          e) Now my fingers are in more of my clients pies, I'm working for weeks at a time at offices B-E (but also A).
          f) Now aware contract with this client extends a further 6 months (so 24 month rule applies).

If I now work from Office A for a day, am I caught by the 40% rule? As to my mind, all of Offices A-E are temporary workplaces, in so much as I don't know where I'll be from one week to the next, but on my expenses it looks like I've been at Office A all of the time.
          Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
          "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
            Sorry for jumping on this old thread, but does anyone know how the 24 month rule would work in my situation:

a) Current and previous contracts with client don't specify a workplace
            b) Depending on what project I'm working on, and manpower requirements, I could be working from any of four or five offices around the country.
            c) Last 18 months has "Mainly" been in Office A (occasional stints for a few days at offices B-E)
            d) For expense purposes I've just been claiming travel to and from Office A (since mileages average out).
            e) Now my fingers are in more of my clients pies, I'm working for weeks at a time at offices B-E (but also A).
            f) Now aware contract with this client extends a further 6 months (so 24 month rule applies).

If I now work from Office A for a day, am I caught by the 40% rule? As to my mind, all of Offices A-E are temporary workplaces, in so much as I don't know where I'll be from one week to the next, but on my expenses it looks like I've been at Office A all of the time.
            If, over a 24 month period, you spend more than 40% of your time at client site A then the 24 month rule will apply
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
              If, over a 24 month period, you spend more than 40% of your time at client site A then the 24 month rule will apply
              Yes but does that mean I cannot claim any travel to any of the 5 different sites? Or just not to Site A?

So if they say "We need to you to work from Site B next week, then Site C for a fortnight after that, before returning to Site A. I should be able to claim 5 journeys to B and 10 to C yes? But none to A since that is my normal place of work in the eyes of HMRC?

Thanks for the reply.
              Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
              "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
                Yes but does that mean I cannot claim any travel to any of the 5 different sites? Or just not to Site A?

So if they say "We need to you to work from Site B next week, then Site C for a fortnight after that, before returning to Site A. I should be able to claim 5 journeys to B and 10 to C yes? But none to A since that is my normal place of work in the eyes of HMRC?

Thanks for the reply.
                Sorry, site A is the relevant site - travel to B and C would be allowable

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Sorry, site A is the relevant site - travel to B and C would be allowable
                  This came up in a recent case (can't remember where offhand, will have a look later and stick up a link). Each visit to a different site was adjudged to be a separate contract and hence each was a unique (for which read permanent) workplace in the context of that contract. Ergo, no travel costs allowable. So not as clear cut as one might assume.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    This came up in a recent case (can't remember where offhand, will have a look later and stick up a link). Each visit to a different site was adjudged to be a separate contract and hence each was a unique (for which read permanent) workplace in the context of that contract. Ergo, no travel costs allowable. So not as clear cut as one might assume.
                    But presumably visits to sites B and C would still have to exceed 40% of 24 months? Would be interested in link if you have it Mal

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

But presumably visits to sites B and C would still have to exceed 40% of 24 months? Would be interested in link if you have it Mal
                      It was on the PCG forum. Can't reproduce the summary and subsequent comment obviously, but the judgement is here
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X