• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Property let. interest claim.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ASB View Post
    Nope, SM is not unlucky. That is about the reality - certainly for anything over about 12 months intended let. 3% is about the top end of the loading from what I have read.

Like you my previous forays pre crunch were not problem at all. Can;t recall ever paying anything.
    Blimey. Didn't know that. And is that a 3% loading on top of whatever rate you have or does it vary depending on your existing rate to bring you in line with their existing BTL offerings? Surely they won't over penalise you for wanting to start letting?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Blimey. Didn't know that. And is that a 3% loading on top of whatever rate you have or does it vary depending on your existing rate to bring you in line with their existing BTL offerings? Surely they won't over penalise you for wanting to start letting?
      It varies. But that seems to be a common price for CTL. It's about the same rates as a BTL would be if on a decent residential deal. Also BTL product fees seems high in general. It's hard to find tracers below about 4% with about 2k fees.

Hence my reluctance to remortgage. 2.39% gross with effective 40% discount as a 40% taxpayer. Best "simple" deal I can find was 2k fees and 3.49%. I'm sure with a bit of shopping around I could probably find 3.5% with no fees.

There are also lenders which will load higher if they catch you out.

Going back to my situation. Fsk 'em. They basically don't give to CTL and also don't do BTL. So their point (on discovery) is "pay off the loan".

After speaking to solicitor his view was "of course I couldn't recommend that; but there is no question of anything worse than having to pay off the loan. Having also reviewed the mortgage deed this is a contractual condition for a breach of conditions. There is also no specific prohibition on let, however I will have to further review the original terms and conditions which formed part of the offer. Realistically it is highly improbable there is no prohibition on letting".

It so happens that the loan is offset, and also that I have liquidated some of my stock portfolio. When this is settled it will find its way into the current offset and effectively reduce it to pocket change anyway.

Of course this means that a much higher portion of the rent will be profit which will lead to higher taxes at 40%. So there is a filthy scumbag tax avoiding question on its way about tenants in common in varying percentages and profit distribution from their joint property, by some amazing coincidence the other TIC is my partner unmarried, with 20%. Now if it just happened she could be assigned all the income outwith the settlements rules that would be very useful. More research and separate thread to follow....

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
        It varies. But that seems to be a common price for CTL. It's about the same rates as a BTL would be if on a decent residential deal. Also BTL product fees seems high in general. It's hard to find tracers below about 4% with about 2k fees.

Hence my reluctance to remortgage. 2.39% gross with effective 40% discount as a 40% taxpayer. Best "simple" deal I can find was 2k fees and 3.49%. I'm sure with a bit of shopping around I could probably find 3.5% with no fees.
        Interesting. Thanks.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Blimey. That bites. They all hint that there would be a change to a BTL rate but I have had consent for 3 properties over a longish time. Halifax just said OK, B&M asked me to fill a form in and said OK and RBS charged me 100 quid or so and said ok. Not one of them batted an eye or suggest a move to a BTL rate. Must have fallen unlucky with your choice of provider. V frustrating as you say.
          Not sure how this would hang with HMRC but would be cheaper to take a £38k DLA at 4%, repay the mortgage and repay MyCo over over the next 18 months.

Any ideas accountants?
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
            Not sure how this would hang with HMRC but would be cheaper to take a £38k DLA at 4%, repay the mortgage and repay MyCo over over the next 18 months.

Any ideas accountants?
            Dont know how the cost would work out compared with your deal, but you could do that.

Also you can still claim the loan interest as an expense, it does not need to be a formal mortgage on the property. A quick search should turn up plenty of information on that subject.

If the rate is unreasonably high it will cause an issue.

Edit:-

Here is one link which may help a bit. http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/anyan...-was-taken-out

The key point is: "It matters not which property the loan is secured on - or indeed whether the security were on the private residence and not on the let properties. It would be clear that £100k has been used to finance the letting business and that is all that is required."

I'm not saying it's without risk.

One comparatively common way of dealing with it is to take additional funds on the residential mortgage and use those. Of course caution is needed because you need to be able to show it. [fwiw in a previous rental business I took a loan on my residential mortgage, used the proceeds to buy a flat which was let and claimed the interest. I did get an aspect enquiry and they closed it quite quickly having demonstrated the paper trail].

But IAMNAA
            Last edited by ASB; 19 February 2014, 10:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post

Any ideas accountants?
              All of the accountants on here will rightly advise caution.

HMRC won't mind as long as the loan is taken legally, you pay the right amount of interest and pay your tax bills on time (including any s455 charge if you don't pay the loan back in time).

Timing is key, the closer you can do it to the beginning of your company a financial year, the more time you have to pay off the loan.

This was all discussed in a recent loan thread but you should only even consider this if your company has ample reserve funds, it's not going to affect its ability to meet its liabilities and you are confident you can pay it back in time.

You'll also need to document the loan and get written shareholders approval for a loan of that amount.

You need to be sure of what you're doing and run it past your own accountant who will be in a lot better position to say whether or not this would be a wise move for your circumstances.
              Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 19 February 2014, 10:30.

Comment

Working...
              X