• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RTI - Service Comnapy Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
    I have checked with HMRC a couple of months ago and they said the latter - if you have operated IR35 (and made a deemed payment) then you should say yes to the question, otherwise it should be no.

Craig
    So if I regard all my company income as caught by IR35, but there is no deemed payment because my actual salary and pension contributions have nullified any need for one, I should say no?

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
      So if I regard all my company income as caught by IR35, but there is no deemed payment because my actual salary and pension contributions have nullified any need for one, I should say no?
      If you regard the company income to be caught by IR35 then in my view you should answer yes to this question.

Craig

Comment

This is what the help file indicates...

A service company who has operated the Intermediaries legislation (sometimes known as IR35).

A service company is one which is set up to supply a worker's services to a client. There is no contract between the worker and the client. The contractual arrangements are between the company and the client, either directly or via another intermediary. The company is usually under the control of the worker and it derives its income wholly or mainly from the supply of the worker's personal services.

For example: John Smith is a software engineer. John is a director and shareholder of his own company, John Smith Software Ltd.

Company A contracts with John Smith Software Ltd to use the personal services of John as a programmer. All payments are made by Company A to John Smith Software Ltd. In this example John Smith Software Ltd is a 'service company'.

Comment

Originally posted by blinko View Post
          This is what the help file indicates...

A service company who has operated the Intermediaries legislation (sometimes known as IR35).

A service company is one which is set up to supply a worker's services to a client. There is no contract between the worker and the client. The contractual arrangements are between the company and the client, either directly or via another intermediary. The company is usually under the control of the worker and it derives its income wholly or mainly from the supply of the worker's personal services.

For example: John Smith is a software engineer. John is a director and shareholder of his own company, John Smith Software Ltd.

Company A contracts with John Smith Software Ltd to use the personal services of John as a programmer. All payments are made by Company A to John Smith Software Ltd. In this example John Smith Software Ltd is a 'service company'.
          Which is fine, except it doesn't explain what is meant by "operated the intermediaries legislation", although it does define HMRC's view of a service company.

Given Craig's earlier statement about the HMRC view I'm still going to answer No to this one as I've made no deemed payments.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
          X