Cycling mileage, evidence? Cycling mileage, evidence?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 15

Super poster

Default Cycling mileage, evidence?

I just realised that you can claim 20p/mile for cycling mileage and whilst this doesn't seem like much, on adding it up, since last August I've racked up nearly 180 miles cycling to/from my clients office (12 miles one way, I mostly take the train in and cycle back).

What evidence would HMRC need to see for any claim? I keep all of my Oyster journey history to support my normal travel cost claims and these will show all journeys where I've taken the train in but not home. Is that sufficient? What about journeys where I cycle in and back or other business journeys where I don't take the train at all? Should I just keep a written log?
    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 12th March 2014 at 20:16.

TPAFKAk2p2

Quote Originally Posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    I just realised that you can claim 20p/mile for cycling mileage and whilst this doesn't seem like much, on adding it up, since last August I've racked up nearly 250 miles cycling to/from my clients office (19 miles one way, I mostly take the train in and cycle back).

What evidence would HMRC need to see for any claim? I keep all of my Oyster journey history to support my normal travel cost claims and these will show all journeys where I've taken the train in but not home. Is that sufficient? What about journeys where I cycle in and back or other business journeys where I don't take the train at all? Should I just keep a written log?
    It's no different to car really - what evidence do you keep?

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    It's no different to car really - what evidence do you keep?
    I don't make many car business journeys; but last time I was regularly when I had a client in Guildford, I'd just enter the mileage into the Expenses section in FreeAgent.

Contractor Among Contractors

You could take selfies at major landmarks along the way, whilst standing next to your bike.

(remember to enable timestamp on the photos, and try to get an independant witness to join in pointing their wristwatch at the camera)
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Ddraig Goch

Why on earth would you think HMRC need evidence? Its just not practical.

Think about it. A lot of us drive cars to client site. If HMRC ever investigated all they could check was:-

1. Where client site was.
    2. You actually billed for that day.

To be honest, even if you worked from home/hitchhiked to work there is no way in a million years they could check.

Of course, if you're doing something like claiming a 100 mile round trip when its 5 mins drive away then your asking for trouble.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Fingers like lightning

I agree with Psychocandy - Providing you had proof you were actually at the site that will be enough.

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    Why on earth would you think HMRC need evidence? Its just not practical.

Think about it. A lot of us drive cars to client site. If HMRC ever investigated all they could check was:-

1. Where client site was.
    2. You actually billed for that day.

To be honest, even if you worked from home/hitchhiked to work there is no way in a million years they could check.

Of course, if you're doing something like claiming a 100 mile round trip when its 5 mins drive away then your asking for trouble.
    Calm down old bean, it was just a question and a perfectly valid one at that.

There's nothing wrong with ensuring all angles are covered.
    In Scooter we trust

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by kingcook View Post
    You could take selfies at major landmarks along the way, whilst standing next to your bike.

(remember to enable timestamp on the photos, and try to get an independant witness to join in pointing their wristwatch at the camera)
    Well this one gets my vote.

Thanks for the input all.

Ddraig Goch

Quote Originally Posted by The Spartan View Post
    Calm down old bean, it was just a question and a perfectly valid one at that.

There's nothing wrong with ensuring all angles are covered.
    You're right. I sounded a bit like NLUK there, didnt I?

Sorry CylingProg....

Ddraig Goch

Of course, if you were really naughty you could catch the train, pay for it personally, but claim mileage instead.