• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 paying out salary at end of year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 paying out salary at end of year

Is it true that if you are working inside IR35, you basically need to empty out the company bank account not once but twice a year?

Firstly before tax year end, because the deemed payment calculation is a personal one so you will end up paying tax+NIC on the income to that date, and then again when you actually pay it out;

Secondly before company year end, because if you have any money left then it will be profit and due for CT, but that won't affect the next deemed payment calculation so you will pay tax+NIC on it as well.

I know:
    "why are you paying a voluntary tax?"
    "what does your accountant say?"
    "do you know how to use the search function?"
    "are you sure you're cut out for contracting?"
    (don't want the hassle, I'm about to ask, yes, and no but I haven't found anything better)
    Last edited by expat; 18 March 2014, 12:46.

Jesus wept!
    Last edited by northernladuk; 18 March 2014, 13:03.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Jesus wept!
      Shorthand for 3 of the 4 caveats?

Comment

Not true at all.

For example you could calculate the salary at the end of the year and not actually pay it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
          Not true at all.

For example you could calculate the salary at the end of the year and not actually pay it out.
          Come, you were tempted to say something else weren't you hey... come on, admit it.

Comment

Can we not just reply with this smilie from now on?

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
              Not true at all.

Ah. Good point. So it is not literally necessary to empty the bank account, but the point is the same, calculate salary (and pay tax).

Coming up to company year end, is it possible to calculate future salaries? Does that reduce profit in this year?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Come, you were tempted to say something else weren't you hey... come on, admit it.
                FAO Mods: this guy is being rude to me, how rude am I allowed to be to him?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  Coming up to company year end, is it possible to calculate future salaries? Does that reduce profit in this year?
                  Expenses generally reduce the profit in the year in which they are incurred (on an accrual basis).

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                    Can we not just reply with this smilie from now on?

Comment

Working...
                    X