• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best time to setup a company?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rashm2k View Post
    next step is to chat to an accountant!
    That's the spirit. Good man.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rashm2k View Post
      From what I've read about the flat rate vat, it depends on your expenses whether it's worth it.

I may have expenses (driving to/from client, hotels, subsistence etc), so not 100% sure whether I should register for flat vat rate, but it might make things a little easier.

next step is to chat to an accountant!
      The mileage shouldn't make a massive difference, but the expenses might. You just need to figure out whether the flat rate excess is more than the VAT you cannot reclaim.

Say you register at 14.5%, which would be 13.5% in the first year, and your turnover is £100,000.

£120,000 x 13.5% = £16,200. So your "profit" from flat rate is £3,800.
      Will the VAT that you cannot reclaim exceed £3,800?

If you need to buy small equipment then also consider whether it's worth registering for VAT, buying it, then swapping to flat rate in the next quarter. Gives you the chance to reclaim VAT on smaller items that you otherwise wouldn't be able to (the flat rate scheme allows you to reclaim on assets over £2,000 but not on smaller items).
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Working...
      X