• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent requests indemnity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent requests indemnity

Hi!

This is my first post, so if this is the wrong forum I apologise in advance

Right, that out the way, here's my problem...

The agent my company is paid through is demanding a _personal_ indemnity from all the directors of my company.

They claim this is to mirror the false-self-employment responsibilities on their directors due to the very recent false self-employment regulations

Looking at how liberal the wording is (any and all tax liabilities at any point in the past and future kind of stuff) I'm less than keen to sign it

To help focus the mind they insist that if the indemnity is not signed, the April payment "might be affected".
    So, basically, unless the indemnity is signed, they will hold back monies.

I have so many questions:
    Is this agency alone in this request?
    Is this an acceptable (whats the point of a Ltd company if the liability is not limited)?
    Can they really change the way the payments are made mid contract?

But, for now, I really just want to know what the rest of the market is experiencing.
    Are the rest of you getting these requests?

Cheers!

Do you work for a dodgy EBT loan scheme umbrella company? That's what this false self-employment legislation hits and if you do I don't know and so can't give you an answer to your question.

If you work through your own Ltd then the agency and agent are showing themselves up for the incompetent bunch of arses they are, because it has NOTHING to do with Ltds.

I would point them to the HMRC website and explain this to them. If they insist I would drop the contract there and then.

And I'd love to know the name of the agency...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I'm very relieved that my interpretation of the request is mirrored by you.

I am unsure about naming the agency as I do not want to compromise any goodwill I can salvage from this situation.

So you can better understand my problem...

This is the main reason they provide:
      In order to ensure full compliance with the legislation effective 6th April 2014, we now need to
      undertake appropriate due diligence to confirm that all Suppliers of Services are operating
      (and will continue to operate) as a Personal Service Company. Without this confirmation,
      <AgentCo> must apply PAYE on all payments made after 6th April 2014.

(I have no idea how much they will retain for 'PAYE', nor where they intend to save it or how they plan to pay it to HMRC)

...this is the persuasion:
      In order to ensure full compliance with the legislation effective 6th April 2014, we now need to
      undertake appropriate due diligence to confirm that all Suppliers of Services are operating
      (and will continue to operate) as a Personal Service Company. Without this confirmation,
      <AgentCo> must apply PAYE on all payments made after 6th April 2014.
      As part of this due diligence can you now please arrange for the attached undertaking to
      be completed on behalf of <MyCo> Limited and signed by all Directors. One of the signatories
      must be the Director and Majority Shareholder who is designated to perform the Services. To
      ensure no delays to payments in April the completed Undertaking should be returned by 14th
      April 2014.
      (So i need to make my decision on this within 2 weeks - I'm not interested in doing so and I have no idea why I must be a majority shareholder)

...this is the clause in the indemnity (there are 5 in all, this 'subtle' one is the 4th) that concerns me the most:
      The Supplier and the individual Directors personally jointly and severally indemnify
      (and will continue to keep indemnified) both <AgentCo> and its Directors against any
      claims by HMRC or any government body or fiscal authority for any sums required to
      be paid in connection with the fees paid by <AgentCo> to the Supplier for the provision of
      the Services. This includes any PAYE, Income Tax, National Insurance Contributions
      and any other taxes or levies or penalties.

(The highlighting is theirs)

(The other clauses try to dictate the setup of the company and where the company's monies flow)

Thanks again for your positive feedback - it helps me a lot!

All advice appreciated - please keep it coming - I think I have quite a battle on my hands this week.

Comment

I'd bin it.

Comment

Oh Dear....

Are you working for a Public Sector client? See here if you are...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ntracting.html
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            I'd bin it.
            +1

Comment

Don't walk away. Run. Run away as fast as you can.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Would be interested to see how they could go about actually deducting PAYE. First off they would surely need your tax code / NI Number and all the other things you don't bother to collect when you a dealing with a PSC in a B2B relationship.

I am sure others on here are more rounded on where this could lead, but ultimately this could lead to all sorts of deemed employment issues.

Another perfect example of an agency in a panic when they don't understand the issue [prays that my compliance department hasn't sent this out]
                https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
                  Another perfect example of an agency in a panic when they don't understand the issue [prays that my compliance department hasn't sent this out]
                  Don't know how to break it to you but.......
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Don't know how to break it to you but you are the only one that generally gets these concepts
                    FTFY
                    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Working...
                    X