• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Upgrading a personal mobile phone, paying a lump sum up front for a new handset

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading a personal mobile phone, paying a lump sum up front for a new handset

I'm aware that a personal mobile phone contract cannot be expensed, if you want your company to pay your contract then the contract needs to be in the company's name.

I'm also aware that the company can buy a handset outright, for you to use with your personal contract SIM.

But what happens if you take out a personal contract where you pay £X up front to get a fancy handset, and then £Y per month. Does £X count as the cost of purchasing the phone, something you can claim back?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Does £X count as the cost of purchasing the phone, something you can claim back?
    I would have said Yes.

Alternatively, what about paying £X yourself, then expense the full retail value of the handset to your Co (print out an Amazon screenshot or similar, with date, for your records)...?

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
      I would have said Yes.

Alternatively, what about paying £X yourself, then expense the full retail value of the handset to your Co (print out an Amazon screenshot or similar, with date, for your records)...?
      I don't think you can expense "what it should have cost"

Unless you meant the company could buy the phone? But when you get a phone on contract, do you actually legally own the phone to sell?

Comment

Unless you meant the company could buy the phone? But when you get a phone on contract, do you actually legally own the phone to sell?
        It's not (much) different to the usual advice I see when people have just set up a LtdCo for first time and subsequently sell assets (such as mobile phone) to LtdCo. The usual advice I see in those cases is to get a second-hand value from ebay, but in your case it's a brand spanking new phone which is why I suggested Amazon (or similar).

So yeah, the Co would then own the phone outright. You do legally own it as the monthly contract has subsidised the phone, and if you try to break the contract early, all that will happen is the provider will charge you the full whack of the outstanding contract anyway. So it's yours from the outset, you're just paying in installments.

Comment

Or just buy a SIM-free phone outright on the company account, switch your contract to a cheaper SIM-only deal then there's far less ambiguity/cause for concern.

Comment

Or just buy a SIM-free phone outright on the company account, switch your contract to a cheaper SIM-only deal then there's far less ambiguity/cause for concern.
            This is exactly what I did. It gives me freedom to switch phones whenever I choose.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Yes you can.

You are selling the phone to a company, so can agree a price with the company that reflects the value of the item.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The tricky issue here, from what I can see, is that normally if you were buying the phone outright through YourCo but using your personal SIM (something I do too), you'd expect to have an invoice for the phone in YourCo's name (regardless of whether you are treating it as an expense or a capital purchase). Even more important if you are able to reclaim the VAT on the purchase.

Personally I don't see why you wouldn't be able to treat £x as the cost of providing a handset whilst you continue to pay the monthly contract personally, but I'd talk to your accountant on this one as I think there is still the risk that this could be caught under the "Employer paying supplier for employees own phone" or "Employer reimburses employee for their own phone" category (depending on how its paid) which would make it a P11D reportable expense and liable to Class 1 NICs in the former category or taxable earnings in the latter.

The wording of the exemption is that it applies to an "employer provided phone" which to me could be easily construed as "paid for by the company and given to the employee", not "paid for by employee and reimbursed by company", but its open to interpretation I guess.

Comment

This is what I'd do. I've been on a personal SIM only deal for years now (with Three currently), £15 a month including 1GB of internet, tethering (not sure its supposed to be active on my plan but it is) and more minutes/texts than I would ever need.

MyCo buys me a new handset every couple of years - I even managed to get one at the same time as a new laptop from once and reclaim the VAT too (same supplier, total over £2k deal) which made it even sweeter.

The old handset has been passed on to the wife which, I suspect, is probably against one HMRC rule or another although as she is now company secretary I think I can safely give her the old handset under the same "one handset per employee" rule.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    This is exactly what I did. It gives me freedom to switch phones whenever I choose.
                    Yeah this would of course be the simpler option. I was just curious if what I suggested would be allowable, in the case upgrading is a cheaper way overall to get the handset. I was not certain that you own 'your' phone when you are on a contract.

Comment

Working...
                    X