• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reimbursing backdated expenses after giving notice? Please help!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I guess it's changed since last year?
    We've had clarification from HMRC since last year
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by brother52 View Post
      Thanks everyone for your excellent feedback.

One more detail: I am not a permanent resident of the UK and I own a home overseas. They, in fact, require that for claiming accomodation expenses. Would this have an effect on the temporarity of my workplaces?

I understand that they are referring to the "24-month rule" one interpretation of which is this: Clarity Finance Consulting – relaunching Soon

At the point that you resign, or advise your Umbrella Payroll Company that you will be leaving at the end of your current assignment then your temporary work place will be deemed to be a permanent workplace, from the point of the decision or disclosure, then no further travel and subsistence claims cam be put through.

What would constitute a FURTHER claim here?

On 5th of May 2014 have prepared and signed claims for up to January 2014, then I resigned on 12th of May. But I only emailed them these claims on 13th of May.
      Have you rented out your home overseas whilst you are here? Did you come to the UK to look for work or to take up a specific contract?

The 24 month rule concerns the length of time that you have spent at a particular location - did you work at one workplace for more than 2 years?

Did you have an employment contract with them and did it have a notice period?

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
        £400 a day and you were with an umbrella!, wow you really don't care about maximizing your take home pay, even as a Ltd inside IR35 you would have been better off, still if you can't be bothered to claim expenses going back 3 years I guess throwing money away doesn't bother you...
        You'd be surprised how many people on much higher rates than this work through a brolly - sometimes it's not all about the take home

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Can Umbrellas sponsor work visas?
          Not in my opinion no

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
            That doesn't seem right to me. If the expenses were incurred before notice of resignation was made I would have thought that the OP would still be entitled to them.
            Evidently the employer doesn't think so.

The only option seems to be to get the money paid as salary and then complete a tax return claiming the money back as expenses.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Please don't ask about the visa sponsorship. Yes, an umbrella can do that, but only for certain types of works which require rather complicated arrangements, discussing which is beside the point. Immigrationboards.com • Immigrationboards.com is a good place for that.

BTW, what constitutes the date of the claim, in HMRC's view? I have my claims prepared and signed before resignation, I just scanned and emailed them to the company later.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                You'd be surprised how many people on much higher rates than this work through a brolly - sometimes it's not all about the take home
                No they are doing it for the love of it

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                  Sometimes it's about getting a visa to work here as well
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by brother52 View Post
                    Please don't ask about the visa sponsorship. Yes, an umbrella can do that, but only for certain types of works which require rather complicated arrangements, discussing which is beside the point. Immigrationboards.com • Immigrationboards.com is a good place for that.

BTW, what constitutes the date of the claim, in HMRC's view? I have my claims prepared and signed before resignation, I just scanned and emailed them to the company later.
                    It's nothing to do with HMRC - the policy is something that your employer has dictated.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Can Umbrellas sponsor work visas?
                      Not legally, no.

Unless they are the employer and are genuinely finding work for the employee. If they are acting as a traditional / normal umbrella does, then no because they aren't the employer in the eyes of the Borders Agency.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X