• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to apportion private use of hire car at weekend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to apportion private use of hire car at weekend

New gig starts 9am on Monday, to get there on time I have to leave the house at 6:30 am by bus or 7:30am by car, as I don't have a car I have to hire one, but the car rental office opens at 8am.

As local car rental offices are closed on Sunday I have to pick the car up on Saturday.

I don't intend to use the car at the weekend but I have read that having it available for personal use means it is a BIK.

Rather than pay the BIK I would rather re-imburse the Ltd Co, so how do I apportion the cost of personal vs business use?

Should I just use the car at the weekend anyway and apportion by mileage? Or should I average out the daily rental fee?

TIA.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

I really would not bother. You are collecting at the only possible time due to the hours kept by the supplier.

any personal use is entirely coincidental and minor.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
      I don't intend to use the car at the weekend but I have read that having it available for personal use means it is a BIK.

Rather than pay the BIK I would rather re-imburse the Ltd Co, so how do I apportion the cost of personal vs business use?

Should I just use the car at the weekend anyway and apportion by mileage? Or should I average out the daily rental fee?

TIA.
      If it's wholly for business and you have a mileage log from the hire company then as ASB says I wouldn't worry about it.

One option though is to hire the car privately, pay for the fuel privately, and claim 45p/mile from your company for the business element. Check the sums to see if this makes sense.

Comment

Forget claiming the hire car through the company and just claim the private mileage allowance. That way you're free to do what you like.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Surely you could buy an old banger for a couple of hundred quid and it will soon pay for itself when claiming £0.45 per mile!

Comment

Originally posted by kookachoo View Post
            Surely you could buy an old banger for a couple of hundred quid and it will soon pay for itself when claiming £0.45 per mile!
            Think turning up at client co behind the wheel of an old banger may raise a few eyebrows

Last edited by kal; 4 June 2014, 14:37.

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
              Think turning up at client co behind the wheel of an old banger may raise a few eyebrows
              Not that it's necessarily a great idea, but why should the client care? My current car is 10 years old, as was my last one.

I have better (and faster) toys to spend my earnings on.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                If it's wholly for business and you have a mileage log from the hire company then as ASB says I wouldn't worry about it.

One option though is to hire the car privately, pay for the fuel privately, and claim 45p/mile from your company for the business element. Check the sums to see if this makes sense.
                For 50 miles a day roundtrip per day I didn't think it would make sense but having calculated again it is around break even with claiming 5/7ths of the rental and the fuel on top (@16 p per mile for a 1.6 engine HM Revenue & Customs: Company cars - advisory fuel rates from 1 June 2014).

Only trouble is I paid for the rental already on the company card, so I could recategorise that as a Directors Loan and repay that back?
                This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Working...
                X