• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alphabet Shares - Confused

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    TSEM4220 - Settlements legislation: about dividend waivers (last paragraph)

If this wasn't the case, then pretty much any dividend waiver would be caught but that's not the case.

It does raise the question of whether or not there is a legal requirement for the company to have enough funds to cover the full dividend, including the waived amount, in a more general sense (completely aside from the settlements issue). Do you know which recent cases didn't apply to spouses? The most recent case I'm aware of that HMRC won was the Donovan & McClaren case, which again was lost due to the waivers benefitting the director's wives.
    As per the other thread on this subject, see TSEM4225
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      The other one is family related where it was deemed that the father was in control of all the funds.. I can't remember the exact name off the top of my head...
      Just to be clear, obviously a settlor can still retain an interest in settled property if the recipient is somebody other than their spouse/civil partner. A very obvious example would be a trust situation where the settlor controls the trust or is a beneficiary of it. There is also s629 which kicks in if the recipient is a minor child. I just don't think there's any evidence of that in OPs case. Would be interested to see read about the case though.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Have you thought about asking a professional these questions?
        Originally posted by aoxomoxoa View Post
        Why would he do that when he could ask a bunch of random strangers?
        What a pair of fart knockers. I thought this was a discussion forum?

If you can't contribute anything useful then why don't you just shut up?
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
          What a pair of fart knockers. I thought this was a discussion forum?

If you can't contribute anything useful then why don't you just shut up?
          Aww Wanderer... Don't be grumpy.

He asked 3 questions, none of which we are really in a position to answer so we answered with the best advice for the OP.

Either that or we were discussing why he didn't go to a professional, either way... here's your dummy back....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X