• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business rates for detached garage conversion?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Thanks for the tips and advice. We'll go and look at the place on Wednesday and take it from there. It's asking price of £280k is out of our budget range but I'm hoping we'll be able to get it down to about £265k. We've already resigned to the fact that we're going to have to up our original £250k budget and take the hit on the extra stamp duty. If we get anywhere with our offer, I'll start looking into the planning issue and ask my accountant about rates.
    £250k plus £15k for fixtures and fittings as a separate sale....
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      £250k plus £15k for fixtures and fittings as a separate sale....
      Oh how I'd love to avoid paying another £5k+ in stamp duty, but if you know of any solicitor that will even think of letting you get away with that, let me know.

HMRC aren't stupid either.

Comment

Thanks for the tips and advice. We'll go and look at the place on Wednesday and take it from there. It's asking price of £280k is out of our budget range but I'm hoping we'll be able to get it down to about £265k. We've already resigned to the fact that we're going to have to up our original £250k budget and take the hit on the extra stamp duty. If we get anywhere with our offer, I'll start looking into the planning issue and ask my accountant about rates.
        You don't have to pay in cash you know. You could get a mortgage as well
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Regarding the business rates. At present anything under £5000 rateable value is not charged for. It is then a sliding scale up to £15000 of relief. I have approx 2,500 sq ft and my rateable value is around £10,000 and I pay around £400per month business rates

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            You don't have to pay in cash you know. You could get a mortgage as well
            What made you think we weren't getting a mortgage?

We have an AIP in excess of what we need to borrow but there's a difference between that and how much I'm willing to borrow. I don't want to exceed 80% LTV which we can probably manage, just, up to £270k if push comes to shove.

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
              Regarding the business rates. At present anything under £5000 rateable value is not charged for. It is then a sliding scale up to £15000 of relief. I have approx 2,500 sq ft and my rateable value is around £10,000 and I pay around £400per month business rates
              Given that we'd be looking at a maximum of 150 sq ft, I don't suppose we'd be looking at much of a bill then?

Comment

What made you think we weren't getting a mortgage?
                Cause you are a contractor!
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Cause you are a contractor!
                  I'm doing alright...I'm not doing *that* well though. Have you seen the prices of houses in the South East?! There's a reason we're moving out as far as Colchester. This is only our first house too.

Comment

How would the council even know how it's being used though? It's not like I'll have clients visiting me so the neighbours should have no cause for complaint. There must be thousands of people out there using home offices and not paying business rates.
                    What has this got to do with anything? Do you want to know what you're supposed to do, or how to get away without doing it?

Just stick a computer on a desk in the garage as-is, no problem!
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      What has this got to do with anything? Do you want to know what you're supposed to do, or how to get away without doing it?
                      I obviously want to know what is correct, I was just wondering how it would even get queried in the first place. In other words, maybe I'm worrying over nothing.
                      Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 24 June 2014, 12:21.

Comment

Working...
                      X