• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business rates for detached garage conversion?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think like most laws/rules, it relies on most people choosing to follow them most of the time.

It's certainly not outside the realms of possibility a neighbour might dob you in though - if they tried to something the right way and were denied then sour grapes might prevail. Or if you were the kind of person always in a spat with their neighbours (no names mentioned).

There's the issue when you come to sell, speaking purely amorally too. But people (maybe the majority) do do as they please. DIY types especially who think they are experts. A neighbour here has 'converted' her garage into a bedroom by gluing up the garage door!
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I think like most laws/rules, it relies on most people choosing to follow them most of the time.

It's certainly not outside the realms of possibility a neighbour might dob you in though - if they tried to something the right way and were denied then sour grapes might prevail. Or if you were the kind of person always in a spat with their neighbours (no names mentioned).

There's the issue when you come to sell, speaking purely amorally too. But people (maybe the majority) do do as they please. DIY types especially who think they are experts. A neighbour here has 'converted' her garage into a bedroom by gluing up the garage door!
      +1 to all that and LOL @ the garage door
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

BTW in one of the HMRC pages I saw when looking into use of home last(?) week in a forum thread, there was talk of being able to put part of the cost of the renovations through the business.

I very much doubt business rates factor in to what you want to do, you're really making a home office not business premises, but you might look into that if you're bothered by such things.

Comment

Business rates for detached garage conversion?

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          BTW in one of the HMRC pages I saw when looking into use of home last(?) week in a forum thread, there was talk of being able to put part of the cost of the renovations through the business.

I very much doubt business rates factor in to what you want to do, you're really making a home office not business premises, but you might look into that if you're bothered by such things.
          I really would be avoiding creating business premises if you can help it. If you do it will be a mare to get a remortgage
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Putting any direct costs through the company books sounds like a recipe for all kinds of issues to be honest, so I don't have any intention in doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              Putting any direct costs through the company books sounds like a recipe for all kinds of issues to be honest, so I don't have any intention in doing that.
              I agree, it's definitely best to make a gut decision before looking at the facts

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                When I converted an attached dairy I put some costs through. Basically it needed a wall rebuilding and it was converted into an office/games room.

What I put through was:-

- all the furniture
                - safe
                - slate covering safe
                - costs of building in safe
                - flooring (in the upper portion of the dairy which was converted to dedicated office)

There were some other bits and pieces and some related building costs.

HMIT was fine in an investigation, just wanted to see it.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Its somewhat of a moot point now as we decided not to offer on the property but its useful for future reference. I'm still hopeful we'll find somewhere with enough room for a nice dedicated garden studio/office (which I will pay for personally). I certainly wouldn't have a problem putting things like office furniture through the books etc. - when the time comes I'll talk to my accountant about what he feels is allowable.

Comment

Working...
                  X