• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ltd companies stopped ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a big nonsense here.
    So finally, I got a call back from the umbrella c-ny mentioned in the first post and they didn't confirm any of those legislation revelations provided by recruitment agency to myself.

Thank you guys for your comments !!!

Comment

Originally posted by padaka View Post
      Hi folks!

I have finished my last contract at the end of march'14 and have just started digging for a new one.

Yesterday received an email from my last recruitment agent saying:

The new government legislation has stopped applicants working as limited companies but we do have an umbrella company that might be of interest to you.

As i have been working through my ltd company for years, it is a bit shocking to find out.

Is this true? Any links? Topics on this forum?
      I am sorry if this is common question, have just registered to this forum.

Many thanks!

very strange.
      umbrellas are usually Ltds
      I have a feeling that they try to convert you to work via their company
      Helping Companies and Individuals

Comment

Originally posted by pappel View Post
        very strange.
        Eh?!?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pappel View Post
          very strange.
          What the agent obviously means is that they don't want contractors to work through their own Ltd company (i.e. a "PSC"), not *any* Ltd.

Comment

Started a gig once with a few other guys. Myself and one other were through Agency A and the other 7 were through Agency B.

Agency A were fine, had contracts ready before start date (just!) and let me use my LTD in the normal fashion. Agency B INSISTED that all 7 of them had to use the Umbrella company that they just happened to own or no contracts would be issued. They'd all started before contracts were issued (usual last second rush job to backfill), which probably never wise…

In the end it took the threat of all 7 to walk out and leave ClientCo in the lurch for Agency B to eventually relent. When I told (my) Agency A about it all they chortled and said that company and its offshoots had a reputation for doing exactly that!

Makes me wonder how many people have been stiffed into going umbrella against their will and losing out on money
            Permietractor (probably)

Comment

Working...
            X