• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Could Juncker be the best thing to happen to the UK?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could Juncker be the best thing to happen to the UK?

Juncker is galling for Britain, but life-threatening for France and Italy - Telegraph

Reading William Hague's biography of Pitt the Younger on holiday last week, I was struck by European views of Britain in the 1780s after it lost American. Austria's Joseph II issued a typical verdict, supposing the country to have "fallen entirely and forever, descended to the status of a second-rank power, like Sweden or Denmark." It would not be long before Vienna was begging for subsidies, and the hard-drinking Pitt was the arbiter of Europe. Such was the force of compound economic growth.

Mr Hague is now in the odd position of acting out the diplomatic roles he describes so well in his book. Perhaps he could tell us what Pitt would have done about Mr Juncker.

----------------------------------
    Lets go our own way - and stick it to the Frogs and the Latins.
    Yes
    40.00%
    No
    30.00%
    AndyW was the worst thing to happen to the UK
    30.00%

I think we're more likely to see compound economic decline.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
      I think we're more likely to see compound economic decline.
      Says the man whose Internet date borrowed money off him for the fag machine and then ran off not paying the bill while he was in the gents.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Working...
      X