• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bloody trains!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody trains!!

My wife was supposed to be heading up to Edinburgh this evening but isn't well, meaning I have to go home. But I've not booked a train ticket and the fares are £64.30 in standard or £127.50 in first! I appreciate they are high because its short notice and a work day. However the prices are the same for tomorrow. What a bloody con! I hate the way you get financially raped by the train companies when your plans have to change at short notice.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

From where?

Have you looked at plane/coach travel? Have you compared the train cost to what petrol would cost to drive?

Is £60 to travel all the way to/from Scotland a lot?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

That is because they have monopoly on that route. Until the time that many operators are allowed to run on the same route we will have this problem. Across the cities in Europe I dont see this problem anywhere. So its just the British corporate greed that is causing this.
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        From where?

Have you looked at plane/coach travel? Have you compared the train cost to what petrol would cost to drive?

Yes looked into flying - close to £200 today. Can't drive as my car is back at home. Would pay the single fare, but last week First decided to chop the peak time train in half and deregulate it, meaning the thing was heaving and many people had to stand for the 3.5 hour duration in a hot sweaty train. Going first at least helps to ensure you get a seat, although you pay twice the price for it.

My point is while I appreciate that its expensive to travel today because its short notice and a working day, tomorrow its neither of these but the prices are the same.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
          That is because they have monopoly on that route. Until the time that many operators are allowed to run on the same route we will have this problem. Across the cities in Europe I dont see this problem anywhere. So its just the British corporate greed that is causing this.
          Actually they don't. Virgin and First Trans Pennine run trains down that side of the country, although the virgin trains don't stop at Manchester and you have to change at Warrington. Both have the same short notice fares.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

WHS. Why is it so cheap?

So basically what you're saying is you hate that they give you such a good discount for planning ahead?
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Tomorrow is hardly booking in advance
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                WHS. Why is it so cheap?

So basically what you're saying is you hate that they give you such a good discount for planning ahead?
                All the way from Scotland would be fine if we were talking Aberdeen or Dundee, Edinburgh is not that far from Manchester in the whole scheme of things (about 210 miles)

By way of comparison, the early morning fares from London to Manchester tomorrow are 35 and 38 for standard and first. Edinburgh to Manchester is about the same distance and the prices go up to 154 in first! As I said, I appreciate that today is short notice and a working day but tomorrow isn't

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Tomorrow is hardly booking in advance
                  As I said, my wife is ill and illness is not something you can plan for. Also, tomorrow is advance...its not today and its not a working day either so why are they charging peak time prices

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                    As I said, my wife is ill and illness is not something you can plan for. Also, tomorrow is advance...its not today and its not a working day either so why are they charging peak time prices
                    They have a set number of tickets at each price bracket, I paid £15 for a peak time Advance single from Birm to London recently, booked it 3 weeks in advance, those tickets normally go quick so you have to get in early. A week to go only Standard tickets are available (£52). Book the day before and usually only Anytime fares are available (£82 for a single!), I have no idea why they do this unless its to encourage people to book early.

I also got a first class ticket back to Brum for £23, normally costs £150ish quid

Comment

Working...
                    X