• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Microchip cat flaps - any good?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microchip cat flaps - any good?

So, after 2 years of incarceration the NorPusses will get to go out and practice their cloggy.

Thing is I want to get a chip cat flap, as the last thing I need is the neighbours moggies in the house causing chaos.

Anyone got one of these and are they any good.

TIA
    Crazy Cat Lady
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    So, after 2 years of incarceration the NorPusses will get to go out and practice their cloggy.

Thing is I want to get a chip cat flap, as the last thing I need is the neighbours moggies in the house causing chaos.

TIA
    Crazy Cat Lady
    Never tried the chipped ones. But I found the only way to keep other moggies out of the house was to get a couple of dogs.

Comment

TIA
      Crazy Cat Lady
      They do the job but you do need to make sure you check the batteries regularly, or you end up with pathetic scratching at the flap and confused cats.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        They do the job but you do need to make sure you check the batteries regularly, or you end up with pathetic scratching at the flap and confused cats.
        Any particular brand?
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

TIA
          Crazy Cat Lady
          Did the feral cat thread scare you into action?

Comment

Haven't seen the micro chipped ones but the magnetic ones didn't work very well. They were not quick enough to react so if the moggy was in full flight it would often hammer in to the locked flap.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
              Did the feral cat thread scare you into action?
              Nope! Only moved into a house we own as opposed to a rental whereby the landlord said, ''yes, you can put a cat flap in, but you'll have to replace the door when you leave''.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Haven't seen the micro chipped ones but the magnetic ones didn't work very well. They were not quick enough to react so if the moggy was in full flight it would often hammer in to the locked flap.
              Also the magnets were too large and one of ours kept losing his as he didn't like it. NorPussI broke the last one going Jason Bourne style through when chased by the neighbourhood terror.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Ha when I lock my cat flap they do this anyway - they have actually managed to completely break through to a point where I had to put the thing back together.

Anyway why is it so wrong that your little cats have their mates round to play while you are out? bit mean don't you think?

Comment

Had the micro chipped one. It worked very well - but broke after 3 years which was a pain. For £100 I expected longer.

We found letting cats in but not out on normal cat flap worked well.

Comment

Can't be long before it will be cheap and practical to fit a cat flap with a web cam and chip that can recognise the approved mog(s)' mug(s) when they are in the vicinity, and even recognise their intention or otherwise to walk through it, without having to fit them with chips, seriously.

A month or so, some Asian team released a (largely) open-source face recognition package that often outperforms humans! Can't find the link, but I'll check my PC at home this weekend if anyone is interested.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X