• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting (LTD) vs. PAYE

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting (LTD) vs. PAYE

IR35 concerns aside, I have a curiosity.

If you were given the option between;

PAYE employment, all the perks, £45k a year.

Contracting (LTD) for the same gross amount of £45k a year, with the same sick/holiday terms as the PAYE option.

What sort of difference could you expect in take home pay?

Eh?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeh View Post

Contracting (LTD) for the same gross amount of £45k a year, with the same sick/holiday terms as the PAYE option.

45k a year contracting, with holidays/sick pay thrown in (let's ignore IR35) is £172 a day gross. This isn’t a question but a sanity check, isn’t it?

Comment

If my rate or work pipeline was so bad that all I could manage to turnover in a year contracting is £45k then yes, I'd get a permie job.

Comment

I assume you mean that you are ignoring IR35 and are comparing £45k a year as company income versus £45k a year in permanent employment??? You are also are ignoring the fact that working as a Director of your own Ltd Co assures you no rights to holiday pay, sick pay etc so any calculation would be meaningless??

Why
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by mikeh View Post

Assuming outside IR35 and a £10,000 salary, no other expenses and ignoring VAT etc. the take home pay would be roughly £38,000 (Ltd) vs. £33,242 (permanent).

I'd be very surprised if a contractor were to ever receive an offer like this. Firstly, the salary would attract £5,112 employers NI costs so the salary would be more expensive than the contractor and secondly, a contractor will generally always be offered much more than a permanent employee would. It isn't just about sick pay and holiday pay (which you would not get as a director of a Ltd anyway), it is about job security. The main reason contractors are paid a premium is because they risk being put out of work at any point - without compensation.

I hope this helps.

Martin
            Last edited by Martin at NixonWilliams; 4 July 2014, 13:09.

Comment

Similar questions have been asked in the past so maybe do a bit of research and then come and put in a better question?

Search is here. It's just a quick shot using 'LTD or PAYE' so try varying the search terms.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=LT...ss&safe=active
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X