• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The "No tulip Sherlock" award goes to....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "No tulip Sherlock" award goes to....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5310016.stm

Britain 'worse than 20 years ago'

The threat of terrorism is one reason why Britain is a worse place to live now compared with 20 years ago, a BBC poll suggests.

Nearly half (47%) of those questioned thought quality of life in Britain had declined, with 47% blaming a "lack of respect" and 46% citing crime.

The study of 1,006 adults was conducted for BBC One's Six O'Clock News.

I would have thought you could condense all those reasons into 1.

New Labour
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

I think low inflation is partly responsible.

Comment

Whilst I agree with the lack of respect/increase in crime thing, I'm not sure about the terrorism thing. People seem to have forgotton that living in London during the 70s and 80s meant pretty much weekly bombings, or at least bomb scares. I'd argue that the threat of terrorism now is actually less than it was 20 years ago.

As for living costs, I'm a contractor
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
        Whilst I agree with the lack of respect/increase in crime thing, I'm not sure about the terrorism thing. People seem to have forgotton that living in London during the 70s and 80s meant pretty much weekly bombings, or at least bomb scares. I'd argue that the threat of terrorism now is actually less than it was 20 years ago.
        I disagree. It wasn't as scary back in those days because the IRA used to warn people to get away.

Today the foreign-looking bloke standing next to you on the tube could just detonate himself without warning.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
          I disagree. It wasn't as scary back in those days because the IRA used to warn people to get away.

Today the foreign-looking bloke standing next to you on the tube could just detonate himself without warning.
          Nope terrorism was far worse, for the simple reason that there were more of them. And as for warnings. Tell that to the 6 year old killed on Bishopsgate.

Warnings were not always given and I'm aware of a least one time when a club got a warning of 10 minutes and spent 8 minutes looking for the damn thing! - that just after the Guildford and Birhmingham pub bombings.

Put simple how many bombings have we had in this country due to the recent terrorism activities. (2 with possibly 1 other that was thwarted). There was the ricin plot but all the plotters were acquitted, so does not count.

Comment

IRA never used suicide bombers - their primary concern was to get way alive, and then blow a bomb. In practical terms it meant that it would have to be abandoned car or some suitcase: so damage was kind of self limiting, plus they were giving warnings at least sometimes. More importantly they had more centralised organisation than modern terrorist cells that self terminate after terrorist act leaving few leads to other cells.

Comment

Originally posted by zathras
              Tell that to the 6 year old killed on Bishopsgate.
              Actually a freelance photographer for one of the rags who apparently ran the wrong direction. Was there on the day, walking back to L'pool St station until the police told us we had to use Aldgate tube instead.

Like many Londoners I think over the years there were times when things made you think twice. The current Islamic style idea of suicide bombing as far as I can see though is a whole different ballgame.

Comment

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...7&q=july+7+911

makes you wonder if there really is a islamic bombing thing going on tight now or a bunch of tonies cronies duplicating what happened in america....

Comment

The only terrorists in this country is Labour !

Comment

Originally posted by Andyw
                    The only terrorists in this country is Labour !
                    The only terrorists in this country are Labour.

Get it right shelf boy.

Comment

Working...
                    X