• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cycling causes cancer! Wail special

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cycling causes cancer! Wail special

Men who cycling more than nine hours a week are six times more likely to develop prostate cancer, study finds | Mail Online

Men who cycle more than nine hours a week are six times more likely to develop prostate cancer, study finds
    Study discovers a link between cycling and the disease for the first time
    Middle aged men are statistically more likely to be diagnosed with the cancer
    But research rules out link with erectile dysfunction and infertility
    allegedly.

so boys keep it under 9 hours.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Would be interesting to know the effect of different types of saddle.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

This has been linked for quite a few years now - I always wondered why cycle saddles were so hard and narrow
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        This has been linked for quite a few years now - I always wondered why cycle saddles were so hard and narrow
        They're hard and narrow to avoid restricting leg movements.

Many are now designed to relieve pressure on the prostate. However, it's important to get the right size for your arse and the right shape for your riding style. Good bike shops will measure you up properly; I wonder if many new cyclists have taken the trouble to replace the (usually tulipe) saddle that's delivered standard on a new bike. However, I also wonder how much difference the newfangled saddles make; it certainly feels better than the old ones without a cut-out, but I think it's one of those cases of 'more research is needed'.

There's also the issue that chaps don't really like walking into a bike shop and saying 'erm, I've been having some downstairs issues since I started riding/using this saddle; can you help me with a new saddle'. Actually though, they should do exactly that because there's no shame in saying so and if it's a good bike shop they'll know exactly what you mean and will try to help with a good saddle. Good bike shops will let you test a saddle for a few days to a week (they'll have test versions of their saddles). if they don't, then go to another shop where they do.

Last edited by Mich the Tester; 9 July 2014, 10:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          They're hard and narrow to avoid restricting leg movements.

Many are now designed to relieve pressure on the prostate. However, it's important to get the right size for your arse and the right shape for your riding style. Good bike shops will measure you up properly; I wonder if many new cyclists have taken the trouble to replace the (usually tulipe) saddle that's delivered standard on a new bike. However, I also wonder how much difference the newfangled saddles make; it certainly feels better than the old ones without a cut-out, but I think it's one of those cases of 'more research is needed'.

must agree I changed to the cut out & gel type and my nether regions thanked me by being less sore.

As you say I suspect the saddles need more research.

Though people that cycle 9 hours a week are likely to be fairly keen cyclists and may well have already changed saddles.

Comment

I cycle ~15 hours a week. Had prostate checked in January. They had a good look - instead of sticking a finger up they put their whole head up there. Or at least that is what it felt like.

I can't wait for Dallas's comments on bike saddles.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              I cycle ~15 hours a week. Had prostate checked in January. They had a good look - instead of sticking a finger up they put their whole head up there. Or at least that is what it felt like.

I can't wait for Dallas's comments on bike saddles.....
              well if you go private with NLYUK healthcare you get what you pay for!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                must agree I changed to the cut out & gel type and my nether regions thanked me by being less sore.

As you say I suspect the saddles need more research.

Though people that cycle 9 hours a week are likely to be fairly keen cyclists and may well have already changed saddles.
                I had an issue for a while of feeling depressed for a couple of days after long rides (2 hrs +), for no logical reason; I eat well, and always fill up on carbs and protein and fluids after riding and I had no reason to be depressed about life. Then during a ride I chatted with a doc who's an ex pro racer who took one look at my bike and pointed straight to the saddle; he said 'that thing's screwing up the flow of testosterone, and that can cause depression in men, especially if your mind and body are used to being pretty highly loaded with the stuff'. He told me to replace the saddle and told me which shops would do the job right. Turned out my saddle was too big; my logic was that being a fairly big bloke I needed a big saddle, but once measured it turns out my pelvis is actually quite narrow so I needed a small saddle that kept the pressure on the bones instead of the soft ares. No problems since then and I ride more than ever.

Comment

Adamo* and peppermint bum cream.

Fill your ..... cracks

I have the Road & Typhoon models: Typhoon preserves everything.

Comment

These any good?

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X