• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Those Peace Loving Muslims Are At It Again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those Peace Loving Muslims Are At It Again

British tourist killed in Jordan

A gunman has opened fire on foreign tourists in the Jordanian capital Amman, killing a British tourist, a government spokesman has said.

The shooting happened at the Roman amphitheatre in central Amman, a popular tourist attraction.

Five other tourists were injured, before the gunman was arrested.

Militants have carried out a series of attacks in Jordan. Sixty people were killed in three suicide attacks on hotels in November 2005.

Jordanian government spokesman Nasser Judeh said the wounded included three tourists from the UK, one from the Netherlands and one New Zealander. The guide was a Jordanian national.

The attack took place at 1230 local time (0930 GMT).

One eyewitness, quoted by the AFP news agency, said the attacker approached the tourists shouting "God is great" in Arabic, before firing.

I visited that amphitheatre as part of my honeymoon. A beautiful spot marred by senseless brutality. We then went on to see Hatshepsut's temple in Egypt where the tour guide carefully pointed out all the blood spatters from where a group of tourists had been mown down by another peace loving muslim shouting "God is great".

Originally posted by Dalek Supreme
    British tourist killed in Jordan

A gunman has opened fire on foreign tourists in the Jordanian capital Amman, killing a British tourist, a government spokesman has said.

The shooting happened at the Roman amphitheatre in central Amman, a popular tourist attraction.

Five other tourists were injured, before the gunman was arrested.

Militants have carried out a series of attacks in Jordan. Sixty people were killed in three suicide attacks on hotels in November 2005.

Jordanian government spokesman Nasser Judeh said the wounded included three tourists from the UK, one from the Netherlands and one New Zealander. The guide was a Jordanian national.

The attack took place at 1230 local time (0930 GMT).

One eyewitness, quoted by the AFP news agency, said the attacker approached the tourists shouting "God is great" in Arabic, before firing.

I visited that amphitheatre as part of my honeymoon. A beautiful spot marred by senseless brutality. We then went on to see Hatshepsut's temple in Egypt where the tour guide carefully pointed out all the blood spatters from where a group of tourists had been mown down by another peace loving muslim shouting "God is great".
    I'd love to visit Egypt and other areas of the Middle East with interesting archaelogical sites but I won't because of these senseless attacks on tourists. We'll just have to stop visiting these places. This will cause economic hardship and, hopefully, force the governments of these countries to eliminate the fundamentalists. They don't tend to have their hands tied by human rights lawyers either in these places so I would expect that their fundamentalist problems could be solved pretty permanently if they have the incentive.

Boycott the entire Middle East and we'll see how many more attacks there'll be.

TSP

Comment

Precisely the reverse will happen by boycotting these countries. The incumbent governments will be swept away as the hardship bites the man in the street and the fundamentalists will take over. That's why they attack tourists - for countries like Egypt this is their biggest source of revenue.

Get yourself over there and marvel at the spectacular monuments, heritage and scenery these countries have to offer. The biggest risk you take every day is crossing the road or getting behind the wheel of your car.

Comment

Originally posted by TheScarletPimp
        I'd love to visit Egypt and other areas of the Middle East with interesting archaelogical sites but I won't because of these senseless attacks on tourists.
        On the last two occaisions that I've been diving in Sinai, bombs have gone off the following week. Would still go again though.
        Last edited by Pondlife; 4 September 2006, 12:02.

Comment

There's more muslim nutters here in the UK than over there.

Comment

\Precisely the reverse will happen by boycotting these countries. The incumbent governments will be swept away as the hardship bites the man in the street and the fundamentalists will take over. That's why they attack tourists - for countries like Egypt this is their biggest source of revenue.
            Maybe yes, maybe no. I suspect the relatives of the dozens of British tourists killed in these places over the last few years would recommend that anyone avoids these places like the plague. I'm with them.

Get yourself over there and marvel at the spectacular monuments, heritage and scenery these countries have to offer. The biggest risk you take every day is crossing the road or getting behind the wheel of your car.
            Would love to, and I appreciate the relative risk is slight, but nevertheless I wouldn't feel comfortable going to these places under the circumstances. Shame really. Somewhat ironic too that Iraq/Iran are thought of as the birthplaces of civilisation. Not any more they're not.

TSP

Comment

Can't believe how many bigots we have on this forum.

I wonder if this thread would even exist if a French or German tourist was killed, or a African, Chinese or Japanese person instead of British.

I know there are a lot of decent and intelligent people on here but I'm seriously worried about the new found racism that's slowly creeping into these forums.

What difference does it make of the nationality of the deceased, we should ensure that there is no loss of innocent lives, irrespective of their background - or do people here think otherwise?

I've yet to see people on this forum mourn the loss of life in places like Africa and South America, unless its a British life. What kind of people have we become?

Comment

[QUOTE=BankingContractor]
                I know there are a lot of decent and intelligent people on here but I'm seriously worried about the new found racism that's slowly creeping into these forums.

QUOTE]

- Please point out where you see 'racism' in this thread
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

What a banker.

Comment

Originally posted by BankingContractor
                    Can't believe how many bigots we have on this forum.

I wonder if this thread would even exist if a French or German tourist was killed, or a African, Chinese or Japanese person instead of British.

What difference does it make of the nationality of the deceased, we should ensure that there is no loss of innocent lives, irrespective of their background - or do people here think otherwise?

I've yet to see people on this forum mourn the loss of life in places like Africa and South America, unless its a British life. What kind of people have we become?
                    Isn't it more to do with the way it's reported. If you look at news reports of killings around the world, the ones that attract headlines are about Brits being killed because they are the ones which mean most to the readers/viewers. Non-UK citizens that are killed in the same incidents are often mentioned as an afterthought. Also, there are daily incidents and accidents in other countries which kill a few people and are never mentioned in the UK press. It's just the way of the media.
                    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Working...
                    X