• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: One in Ten British Asians Believes Honour Killings Are Justified

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear: One in Ten British Asians Believes Honour Killings Are Justified

One in 10 'backs honour killings'

One in 10 young British Asians believes so-called honour killings can be justified, according to a poll for the BBC's Asian Network.

Of 500 Hindus, Sikhs, Christians and Muslims
    [DS: It would be interesting to see the relative proportions - which is more bloodthirsty, if any] questioned, a 10th said they would condone the murder of someone who disrespected their family's honour.

Figures show 13 people die every year in honour killings, but police and support groups believe it is many more.

Religious leaders said they would hold a national conference on the issue.
    [DS: Splendid idea. Presumably only those who have or are thinking of committing an honour killing will be invited]

Honour killing is a brutal reaction within a family - predominantly Asian and Middle Eastern - to someone perceived to have brought "shame" upon relatives.

What constitutes dishonour can range from wearing clothes thought unsuitable or choosing a career which the family disapprove of, to marrying outside of the wider community.

The Metropolitan Police are investigating 200 deaths linked to honour killings.

Kidnaps, beatings and rapes have also been committed in the name of "honour".

Liza Booth, from Asian Network, said clerics from all the faiths would hold the gathering later in the year to discuss how to make honour killings a thing of the past.

The 16 to 34-year-old age group interviewed in the survey needed to be persuaded such killings were not acceptable,
    [DS: isn't this infringing their human rights and beliefs?] they said.

Something for John Reid to sort out, perhaps? After a period of consultation, of course.

Seems fair enough to me. Sort of Asian mafia.

Comment

I wonder how the demographics worked out. Is this possible:-

-- 500 Asians interviewed
      -- 50 Muslims (10%) justified honour killings. 450 Hindus/Sikhs/Christians thought it was OK so long as the Muslims were killing themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
        450 Hindus/Sikhs/Christians thought it was OK so long as the Muslims were killing themselves.
        Yep, makes me wonder why so many people get so worked up about Iraq.

TSP

Comment

Originally posted by Dalek Supreme
          One in 10 'backs honour killings'
          [The 16 to 34-year-old age group interviewed in the survey needed to be persuaded such killings were not acceptable[/b], [/i][DS: isn't this infringing their human rights and beliefs?] they said.
          Yes, we should rejoice in the rich cultural mix that is our country today.

How about a Notting Hill style carnival to celebrate honour killings, forced intra-country marriage and female circumcision. Fun for all the family

Comment

Are there any documented instances of non-Muslim honour killings?
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
              Are there any documented instances of non-Muslim honour killings?
              Seem to remember there were quite a few in the last series of the 'Soprano's' - thats proof enough for me

Comment

Originally posted by Hart-floot
                honour killings, forced intra-country marriage and female circumcision
                Is there a natural order to these things? I mean does one follow the other?

Joe in "was never much good at RE" mode.

Comment

That makes them pretty moderate by Islamic standards. Just wait until the Turks join the EU. According to a recent poll 40% of them believe in honour killing and and 21% that a woman's nose or ears should be cut off for adultery.

Turkish Poll
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                    That makes them pretty moderate by Islamic standards. Just wait until the Turks join the EU. According to a recent poll 40% of them believe in honour killing and and 21% that a woman's nose or ears should be cut off for adultery.

Turkish Poll
                    I guess chatting up a Turkish bird with no beak is ok by me. She wouldnt be able to smell my feet and I'd know she's a goer

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X