• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best way to get doggy smell out of sofas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to get doggy smell out of sofas

I'm moving to my new turnip in the country next week, and agreed with the retired owners that they could leave there whatever they wanted when they move out.

As they are downsizing to a bungalow, it turns out this will include most of the contents and in particular loads of good quality sofas.

This is very handy in a way as the place has several large rooms, for which sofas are useful and convenient furnishing, and decent quality ones such as Chesterfields would be very expensive to purchase new in the quantities needed.

But there's a snag.

The owners have five elderly dogs, which for years have used most of the sofas as handy beds. So, although the owners keep the sofas covered with a blanket, and they and the place are scrupulously clean generally, I suspect these sofas will reek of dog. Unfortunately they are satin and upholstery rather than leather.

So in summary, I am wondering if there is a treatment that can thoroughly clean and de-doggify a sofa (one that doesn't involve a garden bonfire or hiring a skip!)

I mean for example, can one pay to have sofas taken away and treated in a giant "sofa dry cleaning" chamber? I imagine something like that might be required.

Or can one buy or pay for treatment with sofa shampoo and shampooers as for carpets?

Any constructive ideas welcome ..
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Piss on the sofa yourself to mark it as your territory.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Edit: BLast, MIT beat me to it.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Piss on the sofa yourself to mark it as your territory.
        Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Hide the dog smell it up by peeing on it for three weeks.
        Great minds, eh?

Comment

Could be worse than dogs. Recall going to see a house once and the owners were fostering a bunch of kids. Gawd, the smell! We were glad to get away.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

ask Norrahe if you can borrow some cats 10-20 should do it. If you have a couple of tom cats even better, you will pray for the dog smell after a couple of days.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Have the dog put down and buy a new sofa.

Advice on sofa's readily available from ATW.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                Have the dog put down and buy a new sofa.

Advice on sofa's readily available from ATW.
                Added bonus; AtW might be in the market for a second hand sofa.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  ask Norrahe if you can borrow some cats 10-20 should do it. If you have a couple of tom cats even better, you will pray for the dog smell after a couple of days.
                  Rentapuss ( plan B) , I have two available for a good price.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Carpet cleaners do an upholstery service, machine in the van, hose into the house type thing.

Won't be expensive and will completely remove smells.

Comment

Working...
                    X