• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finance Bill - Royal Ascent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finance Bill - Royal Ascent

With Parliament due to rise 22nd July, what happens if the bill is still going through the House of lords?

By looking at the dates below I cant see how it can receive Royal Ascent in July.... Will this bill continue when parliament returns after the summer resses?

House of Lords

First reading (Lords) 3/7/14

Second reading (Lords) 16/7/14

Committee stage (Lords) Usually two weeks after 2nd reading

Report stage (Lords) Usually a few weeks after Committee stage

Third reading (Lords)

Consideration of amendments

Royal Assent

Hi,

All due to complete tomorrow:

Latest news on the Finance Bill 2013-14 to 2014-15

First reading took place on 3 July. This stage is a formality that signals the start of the Bill's journey through the Lords.

Second reading - the general debate on all aspects of the Bill - and all remaining stages - is scheduled for 16 July.

Finance Bill 2013-14 to 2014-15 — UK Parliament
    STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Royal Ascent

You are correct just seen this piece..

"The House of Lords has a limited role in respect of Finance Bills. The House of Commons has the sole right to initiate and amend bills whose main purpose is to levy taxes or authorise expenditure.

The House of Lords will have a second reading debate on the Finance Bill but they will not consider the Bill clause by clause and will not amend the Bill."

Therefore all will be done and dusted tomorrow

Comment

I think Charles is next in line I believe
        Blood in your poo

Comment

Its also worth stating that tomorrow the Lords will be focused on the Data Retention & Investigatory Powers Bill which is in the Commons today.

The finance bill will sail through the House of Lords in the time it takes to call a vote...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by turbowoowoo View Post
            You are correct just seen this piece..

"The House of Lords has a limited role in respect of Finance Bills. The House of Commons has the sole right to initiate and amend bills whose main purpose is to levy taxes or authorise expenditure.

The House of Lords will have a second reading debate on the Finance Bill but they will not consider the Bill clause by clause and will not amend the Bill."

Therefore all will be done and dusted tomorrow
            I thought the bill would then have to go to the committee stage where they dissect it in detail, hearing any objections along the way?

I live in hope lol!

Comment

Working...
            X