• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why does evolution matter?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does evolution matter?

Watching a Channel 4 thing about extremist schools last night, Muslim, Jewish and Christian, and it was big deal that some were teaching creationism.

There are some things they should certainly not be teaching but why does a belief in creationism matter? Apart from the tiny few who look for jobs at natural history museums, it has no relevance to life whatever. It may be rubbish but it is no more harmful than, say, belief in ghosts or faith healing.

Seems to me that some people treat atheism or science as religion, requiring people to believe in them even when it does not really matter.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Why does anything matter? Do I matter? Do you matter?

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Watching a Channel 4 thing about extremist schools last night, Muslim, Jewish and Christian, and it was big deal that some were teaching creationism.

There are some things they should certainly not be teaching but why does a belief in creationism matter? Apart from the tiny few who look for jobs at natural history museums, it has no relevance to life whatever. It may be rubbish but it is no more harmful than, say, belief in ghosts or faith healing.

Seems to me that some people treat atheism or science as religion, requiring people to believe in them even when it does not really matter.
      Would it be OK to teach intelligent falling as science? There is no gravity but God pushes things to the Earth?

Comment

Is it OK to teach as history that Native Americans are lost tribes of Israel?

Comment

Someone tried to convince me they had read an intelligent comment by OG on CUK once. Turned out to be as true as Adam and Eve.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Someone tried to convince me they had read an intelligent comment by OG on CUK once. Turned out to be as true as Adam and Eve.
            Was that when I proposed suity and MF as evidence of Survival of the Fattest?

Comment

Why is it important to you to assert that it doesn't matter? It sounds as though you have some kind of preference for truth over falsehood?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Why does anything matter? Do I matter? Do you matter?
                You don't matter.

HTH

Comment

Apart from the tiny few who look for jobs at natural history museums, it has no relevance to life whatever.
                  Two words: antibiotic resistance.

(There are quite a few other relevant words, but those two are enough to be going on with.)

Comment

The theory of evolution has an impact on every day life. Look at the increasing resistance of bacteria to currently available antibiotics. Now, their development may have been guided by a supreme being (or something else), but the most likely explanation is that they evolved (I base this on stuff done in labs. By microbiologists You can see the bacteria changing)).
                    I don't see that the theory of evolution (correct application of the scientific method will never allow it to be the fact of evolution, btw) is in any way analogous to faith healers. One is a tried and tested method, the use of which has resulted in many useful and beneficial discoveries, and the other is populated by predatory, cynical individuals who exploit the sick and the weak. Sometimes the outcome is the same, but that doesn't make the methods equal.

Edit: Oh bugger - NF beat me to it.
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                    X