• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Easiest way to allow remote assistance on a Windows 8.1 PC?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easiest way to allow remote assistance on a Windows 8.1 PC?

I only run W7 but want to help mum remotely with her new 8.1 laptop. The thing is when I googled how to use the built-in Remote Assist tool, I got this page:

Set up & use Windows Remote Assistance in Windows 8.1

I very much doubt she can do all that, those are pretty technical things to be mucking about with for a novice. If she could do that kind of thing, she wouldn't NEED my help!

And advice on the easiest way for her to let me jump in remotely? Something where she can see her screen at the same time is better, rather than just using RDP.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Logmein, paid for now. Tried the others, they're all pants.

Comment

It bypasses all the firewall issues IIRC - HTTP fallback or something like that - so it "just works"?

I was also considering CoPilot since I used to follow Joel Spolsky's blog but have never tried it.

Comment

TeamViewer - Free Remote Control, Remote Access & Online Meetings

They have a tool called TeamViewer QuickSupport - basically you install the full client on your PC - get mum to download the QuickSupport tool and run it (no install needed) - it will display a code on screen for her - she tells you that code, you connect to her PC using that code with your full client.

Comment

Originally posted by ee61re View Post
          TeamViewer - Free Remote Control, Remote Access & Online Meetings

They have a tool called TeamViewer QuickSupport - basically you install the full client on your PC - get mum to download the QuickSupport tool and run it (no install needed) - it will display a code on screen for her - she tells you that code, you connect to her PC using that code with your full client.
          ^This, you can after that either install the full client to your mom PC and have it start automatically with a static password and user ID so you can just connect when asked without her needing to take action, or you can configure the Win 8.1 remote assistance yourself and use that in the future

Comment

Doh. Hadn't thought of using a free trial of an easy tool so I could set up Remote Assist remotely!

Comment

Lync

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                Lync
                Don't you need at least office365 subscription for this? Never used it outside of an internal company infrastructure. In any case its a complete overkill for the intended use compared to TV.

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Doh. Hadn't thought of using a free trial of an easy tool so I could set up Remote Assist remotely!
                TeamViewer is not a trial offer, its completely free for personal use

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Logmein, paid for now. Tried the others, they're all pants.
                  + 1 for Logmein

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                    Don't you need at least office365 subscription for this? Never used it outside of an internal company infrastructure. In any case its a complete overkill for the intended use compared to TV.

TeamViewer is not a trial offer, its completely free for personal use
                    I have it on my android phone without a 360 subscription.

Comment

Working...
                    X