• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Most interesting news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most interesting news

So what is this giant hole?

Giant hole appears at 'the end of the world' in Siberia - Europe - World - The Independent

A sinkhole would not leave that raised mound of debris around it surely? My theory, its a huge prehistoric worm. Bram Stoker was right!
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Hollow Earth

HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      So what is this giant hole?
      AndyW's mum? no, wait...

A sinkhole would not leave that raised mound of debris around it surely? My theory, its a huge prehistoric worm. Bram Stoker was right!
      You're thinking of that film tremors

Comment

It's either a massive cavern underneath, or it's a discreet hole with water in. I'd favour the latter. I don't think its a sinkhole, they tend to form by disolving carboniferous rock - there's standing water next to this feature. It looks too neat to be a meteor strike, plus it would likely have been detected via other means. It does look from the picture like the matter around the hole has been ejected from it, so the gas explosion seems feasible, even though I doubt that wouldn't have been detected either.

Maybe zeity is responsible

Comment

Comment

The way the earth surrounding the hole rises suggests something left the ground.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Maybe after umpteen billion years the Earth has reached puberty and developed a mating hole. Tomorrow we will wake up and find ourselves being bonked by Neptune.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                My theory, its a huge prehistoric worm.

Comment

I like this theory:-

Anna Kurchatova, from the Sub-Arctic Scientific Research Centre, told the Siberian Times global warming could be a cause.

She believes the hole was formed by a mixture of water, salt and gas, igniting an underground explosion.

The gas had accumulated in ice mixed with sand beneath the surface of what was a sea 10,000 years ago, and ignited when the permafrost melted “like popping a champagne bottle”, she claimed.

If her analysis is correct, another explosion could have worrying implications for the many underground gas pipelines running through the region.
                  So a giant gas bubble forms in the permafrost - this is the equivalent of the ice cube in your drink boiling on the inside - which, I concur would have worrying implications for the many underground gas pipelines... hang on! many underground gas pipelines...?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
                    I like this theory:-

So a giant gas bubble forms in the permafrost - this is the equivalent of the ice cube in your drink boiling on the inside - which, I concur would have worrying implications for the many underground gas pipelines... hang on! many underground gas pipelines...?!?!
                    Wouldn't need to ignite. Gas could have built to significant pressure underground being kept in place by the permafrost. As the ground thawed it loses solidity and the gas pressure causes it to erupt.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X