• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Letting Agent % fee - what's a good deal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting Agent % fee - what's a good deal?

Hi there,

I am going to look after 5 one bed flats for my Dad who is unwell.
    As I am a hour away by car, I want to get a letting agent to take them on as a fully manged service.
    The flats, which are in the Romford, are all close to each other; so a nice little management package.
    The current rents vary from £500 to £650. I think they should all be about £675 based on some Rightmove research, but that's another story.

What % fee (or flat fee) would you say is a good deal?

Furthermore, is it normal for the fee to include the creation of new contracts when tenants change?
    I have been quoted £50 per tenant change.

Hoping the board can help.

Ours charges 10% for a managed service, inclusive of finding tenants and doing minor repairs on our behalf.

That's 10% on which they then add VAT though.

They charge tenants a fee for a new tenancy contract on top of rent and deposit so charging you too seems greedy to me.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

My agent is on 10% but that doesn't include rent guarantee. They do lesser option but less service. 50 quid seems extremely cheap to so check out, advertise and vet tenants. I would be looking at what you get for that. Ask some of the bigger national letting agents in your area what their rates are and do some comparisons yourself!
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What's "rent guarantee"? Guaranteeing rent when it's vacant like unemployment insurance, or guaranteeing you get rent even if the tenant doesn't pay? I could do with either/both of those!
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          What's "rent guarantee"? Guaranteeing rent when it's vacant like unemployment insurance, or guaranteeing you get rent even if the tenant doesn't pay? I could do with either/both of those!
          It guarantees you get paid if a tenant doesn't up to the point it's vacant or something. I have just had a check and it appears it's all in the hands of insurance companies now so my original advice might be woefully out of date. When I first starting letting there was an increased percentage that came with a payment guarantee. It appears the agents have shifted this risk on to insurance offerings. My fault...

Rent guarantee insurance: Should landlords protect their buy-to-let investment | This is Money
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X