• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What were the school thinking of?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What were the school thinking of?

Mother of terminally-ill boy fighting fine for taking son on 'last holiday' - Telegraph

Words fail me.....

Presumably he's required to attend school just like every other child, at least until he's too ill to do so. Why should the rules not apply?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Presumably he's required to attend school just like every other child, at least until he's too ill to do so. Why should the rules not apply?
      Nice trolling. Not....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Nice trolling. Not....
        Disagree, I'm with VM on this (without going into the argument of whether the rule is reasonable in the first place) The kid has several years of life expectancy - doesn't sound like the fact that he has a life limiting condition is relevant in this instance.

"Somerset, and her husband Peter tried to apply to take him out of class for a cruise in October to celebrate their silver wedding anniversary but were warned they will face a fine or prosecution."

Sounds like the reason for the holiday was their silver wedding, not because the kid is about to die.
        Last edited by mudskipper; 21 July 2014, 05:29.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          Disagree, I'm with VM on this (without going into the argument of whether the rule is reasonable in the first place) The kid has several years of life expectancy - doesn't sound like the fact that he has a life limiting condition is relevant in this instance.

"Somerset, and her husband Peter tried to apply to take him out of class for a cruise in October to celebrate their silver wedding anniversary but were warned they will face a fine or prosecution."

Sounds like the reason for the holiday was their silver wedding, not because the kid is about to die.
          True but you missed the subsequent sentence from your quote. Where it said they could not go during the school holidays due to no wheelchair friendly cabin being available during said school holidays.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It sounds to me like the school had no choice be to refuse authorised absence according to guidelines and issued the standard cut n paste warning letter. Whether the school or council would take any action is another matter. She needs to take her case up with the government, not the school. Having said that, the schools do seem to like to play hard ball on this subject and when challenged waste no time blaming the evil Mr Gove.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              True but you missed the subsequent sentence from your quote. Where it said they could not go during the school holidays due to no wheelchair friendly cabin being available during said school holidays.
              And that was the one and only holiday they possibly could have taken?

Seems to me everyone who breaks this rule has come up with some kind of justification. But really it comes down to parents putting money above their kids' education.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
                It sounds to me like the school had no choice be to refuse authorised absence according to guidelines and issued the standard cut n paste warning letter. Whether the school or council would take any action is another matter. She needs to take her case up with the government, not the school. Having said that, the schools do seem to like to play hard ball on this subject and when challenged waste no time blaming the evil Mr Gove.
                The decision to issue a fine is a matter for the LEA, nothing to do with the school. Take issue with the LEA / council / government - as you say, the school has no choice in the matter.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  The decision to issue a fine is a matter for the LEA, nothing to do with the school. Take issue with the LEA / council / government - as you say, the school has no choice in the matter.
                  Yes but in the first instance it is the school that makes the decision. And I'm still not aware of any local authority that has provided advice*

* actually that isn't true. I have seen advice from 2 authorities that had such gapping contradictions that it wasn't worth the paper it was written on..
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

We had one like this the other month didn't we. School followed guidelines and said no and the parents went straight to the papers, ignoring the request from the school to come in and discuss it with them.

The school is in a tough situation IMO. The rule has to be followed for all else anarchy will ensue but the articles always allude to the fact there is a certain amount of discretion allowed in certain cases. From what I see in all these articles it hits the paper before the school has been further consulted and allowed to use it's discretion. If these articles mentioned the parents have used every possible avenue before going to the papers I would have a little more sympathy.

Just as a note I also read in to it that this is a wedding anniversary and not a last holiday for the lad. Reads to me that they are playing the disabled card a little unfairly here.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X