• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flybe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flybe

Currently saying they have no facility to issue a VAT invoice for a flight I took recently. As I paid for it on a Company card, this is a business to business transaction. As we are both registered for VAT they are obliged by law to issue a VAT invoice.

Like trying to get blood out of a stone.

Any tips on getting them to promptly cough one up?

TIA
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Good luck with that. And when you do, try the same with Expedia.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Currently saying they have no facility to issue a VAT invoice for a flight I took recently. As I paid for it on a Company card, this is a business to business transaction. As we are both registered for VAT they are obliged by law to issue a VAT invoice.

Like trying to get blood out of a stone.

Any tips on getting them to promptly cough one up?

TIA
      Since when was VAT charged on flights?
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Since when was that relevant?

Sent from my iMinion using Tapatalk

Comment

If you read the rules on VAT invoices it would appear that VAT registered companies are only obliged to issue VAT invoices to other VAT registered companies (did you give then your VAT number?) for standard or reduces rate supplies.

It would appear they aren't obliged to do so on zero rated supplies like flights.

See exceptions here:
          https://www.gov.uk/vat-record-keeping/vat-invoices

Why do you need one anyway? No VAT to reclaim and your bank statement and email confirmation is proof enough for tax relief purposes.
          Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 21 July 2014, 18:37.

Comment

Since when was that relevant?

It is relevant if the service / good provided is zero rated for VAT......

Comment

Flybe

Client co won't cough up without a valid vat invoice. HMRC clearly states it is a legal requirement to issue one when requested. No mention of ifs or buts.

Last edited by suityou01; 21 July 2014, 18:51.

Comment

Client co won't cough up without a valid vat receipt. HMRC clearly states it is a legal requirement to issue one when requested. No mention of ifs or buts.

If only that was the case. As this is what HMRC actually state:

From HM Revenue & Customs: VAT invoices: what they must show

If you are registered for VAT you must give any VAT-registered customers a VAT invoice for any standard-rated or reduced-rated goods or services you sell them.
                That sentence only mentions standard rated and reduced rated. Further down it adds

If you issue a VAT invoice that includes zero-rated or exempt goods or services, you must:
                show clearly that there is no VAT payable on those goods or services
                show the total of those values separately
                So someone round here is making a fool out of themselves and it isn't me or TCP...

Comment

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/...t-invoices.htm

If you are registered for VAT, then whenever you supply goods or services to someone else who is also registered for VAT you must give them a VAT invoice.
                  Seems plain enough to me.

Comment

HM Revenue & Customs: VAT invoices: what they must show

Seems plain enough to me.

The exception in the link I posted above seems just as clear to me. They aren't obliged to give you one so you're not going to get one.

Exceptions
                    You don’t need to issue a VAT invoice if:

your invoice is only for exempt or zero-rated sales within the UK
                    you’re giving goods as a gift
                    you sell goods under a VAT second-hand margin scheme
                    your customer operates a self-billing arrangement
                    Tell the client that they aren't able to give you one. Why would your client need one anyway? Presumably you're recharging the expense to them and adding VAT on top. The VAT they can reclaim is the VAT you're charging them and they only need your invoice for that.

If they want proof of an expense then what on earth is wrong with the receipt you've got?

Even if there was VAT on flights your client wouldn't be able to reclaim the VAT Flybe charged you anyway unless you were their employee.
                    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 21 July 2014, 19:20.

Comment

Working...
                    X