• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chicken Tonite....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Tonite....

Or maybe not....

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Not new news for me. I once had a temp student job in a chicken factory.

After the beheading and degutting there was the "cleaning" process. They went into a huge vat of water with a big water wheel type mixer that churned them round and lifted a portion out onto a conveyor belt. It was random chance if a corpse got to the belt after one cycle or stayed in the vat all day long. I say day because I assume the vat was cleaned at night although I never actually saw it done. The water stunk to high heaven anyway.

On the conveyor belt we had to do that thing of sticking the legs up the butt to make packing easier. We regularly cut our hands on the bones and the cuts almost always got infected. Imagine a row of students with pus-filled wounds on their hands packing your chicken.

Have fun. Sorry to ruin your dinner.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Have fun. Sorry to ruin your dinner.
      Not ruined.

I'm puzzled why we were told to stop washing chicken (and other meat).
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Don't wash chicken before cooking it, warns Food Standards Agency | Life and style | The Guardian

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Not ruined.

I saw this the other day but never investigated what the reasoning was. My dad was a health inspector for over 30 years and always washed his meat (!). Reasoning being the BSE type stuff which inhabits the spinal chord just might not have been 100% removed by the disinterested students employed in such roles meat industry professionals. I follow suit, i wouldn't risk not doing for the sake of half a gallon of tap water. Even if the guardian has found some reason to object.

No BSE in chicken, but there might be EColi 0157 or other nasties in their tulip which can be removed with a good wash.

Comment

Working...
          X