• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quick fix

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick fix

Heroin Detox | Methadone Detox | Detox 5

Do you reckon stuff like this can work?

Given that most addicts have been addicted for years, and have tried to come off drugs multiple times and failed, is something like this just playing to the need for a 'quick fix'? Long term methadone substitution has an enormous impact on the normality of the addict's life - the requirement of daily visits to a chemist isn't really conducive to holding down a job.

The stats they quote look pretty impressive, until you look at the 'did not responds' - I'm guessing a large proportion of those are fails.

Not a cheap option (about 3.5K) - especially if you factor in a naltrexone implant (about 3k a year). Still a lot cheaper than a heroin habit. If it works...

Most addicts have a host of other problems - housing/debt/family etc. Is fixing the addiction the key to fixing the rest, or does the rest mean the chances of fixing the addiction are tiny?

Hmmmm.

stops them breaking the law to pay for their habit.

so its cheaper than catching & jailing a drug addict.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It worked out well for peaches didn't it.

Perhaps I should not make a joke of it - its awful for her kids.

Comment

Originally posted by MadDawg View Post
        Heroin Detox | Methadone Detox | Detox 5

Do you reckon stuff like this can work?

Given that most addicts have been addicted for years, and have tried to come off drugs multiple times and failed, is something like this just playing to the need for a 'quick fix'? Long term methadone substitution has an enormous impact on the normality of the addict's life - the requirement of daily visits to a chemist isn't really conducive to holding down a job.

The stats they quote look pretty impressive, until you look at the 'did not responds' - I'm guessing a large proportion of those are fails.

Not a cheap option (about 3.5K) - especially if you factor in a naltrexone implant (about 3k a year). Still a lot cheaper than a heroin habit. If it works...

Most addicts have a host of other problems - housing/debt/family etc. Is fixing the addiction the key to fixing the rest, or does the rest mean the chances of fixing the addiction are tiny?

Hmmmm.
        I think the chance of any success has to be worth the money, however as long as the person has the will power to want to do this rather than being forced to do something they don't want to.
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          stops them breaking the law to pay for their habit.

so its cheaper than catching & jailing a drug addict.
          My understanding is that the NHS won't generally pay for it.

If it works, it would seem a good investment for the NHS.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            It worked out well for peaches didn't it.

Perhaps I should not make a joke of it - its awful for her kids.
            It's a valid point. Most ODs are from recovering addicts who've relapsed.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              I think the chance of any success has to be worth the money, however as long as the person has the will power to want to do this rather than being forced to do something they don't want to.
              Indeed - the money is the smallest cost of failure.

Comment

I suppose what I'm wondering is:

By their nature, addicts are after a quick fix, not a long term slog.

Is this worth a punt, or is this another case of snakeoil salesmen preying on the desperate?

If it was easy to fix addicts in a week, why aren't the NHS funding / pushing this as the treatment of choice?

Someone close to me wants to give this a go, and all my instincts tell me to support it, but I suppose I (and he) fall into the desparate camp, so good to get an objective opinion.

Comment

Working...
                X