• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC - DCA recall unit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC - DCA recall unit?

Hello,

New person here and looking for advice.

I had a hand delivered letter put through my home letter box in the name of my ltd company (it is registered to my home address and I am sole director) From what first appears to be from HMRC.

It is on photo copy paper and a mobile number to call a debt collector. It is noted it is from DCA Recall Task Force Collector Unit 4?. but there is the HMRC logo on it.

The letter warns about enforcement action saying they called today to collect the o/s debt or determine assets.

Is this genuine?

There is a debt o/s from 3 years ago but due to lack of contracts and general hardship I was not able to pay and still not in a position.

Thank you in advance

This might help HMRC & debt collectors - the truth!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Gunners89 View Post
      Is this genuine?

There is a debt o/s from 3 years ago <snip>
      I don't know, but it's feasible given you owe them money. Why don't you call Hector and ask? They do do this kind of thing, my neighbour works in this field, going door to door chasing up on people who don't respond to any other form of communication.

Here is a list of 3rd party debt collectors used by Hector: HM Revenue & Customs: Debt collection agencies acting on behalf of HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)

It says to be wary as there are scammers out there - hence calling to confirm they are on your case. I wouldn't call the mobile number though....

Comment

Arm yourself with questions from Lisa's link and use this to find out how to contact HMRC BEFORE you contact the name on the bit of paper.

Income Tax enquiries for individuals, pensioners and employees
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Thank you for the advice and there is some very useful information on Lisa link...I will contact HMRC to try and discuss/resolve

Comment

HMRC - DCA recall unit?

Hi, I've just registered.

I would like to hear from Gunners to see if this case progressed further.

My daughter had a similar letter pushed through her door yesterday and I have been doing some digging for her and it appears the address is false, the postcode does not exist. The email address given was a hrmc.gsi.gov.uk so I emailed it and failed to deliver. There is a mobile number but I am not ringing this.

What she is also worried about is that it was pushed through her door but the company dissolved Feb 2013 and she had a registered address not her own. They are also claiming she owes over 15K but she received a refund from hmrc.

I am trying to gather as much info as possible with the intention of going to the police as she is concerned that some bully boys may turn up on her doorstep as she lives alone.

I would very much like to hear from gunners to see how he got on.

many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ambrosia View Post
              Hi, I've just registered.

I would like to hear from Gunners to see if this case progressed further.

My daughter had a similar letter pushed through her door yesterday and I have been doing some digging for her and it appears the address is false, the postcode does not exist. The email address given was a hrmc.gsi.gov.uk so I emailed it and failed to deliver. There is a mobile number but I am not ringing this.

What she is also worried about is that it was pushed through her door but the company dissolved Feb 2013 and she had a registered address not her own. They are also claiming she owes over 15K but she received a refund from hmrc.

I am trying to gather as much info as possible with the intention of going to the police as she is concerned that some bully boys may turn up on her doorstep as she lives alone.

I would very much like to hear from gunners to see how he got on.

many thanks
              You may want to read

HMRC & debt collectors - the truth!

especially the bit at the end regarding what they can and can't do...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

HMRC - DCA recall unit

Thank you for the link. I did read this yesterday when I spent most of the day searching for info.

It is rather worrying where these scammers get their info from as my daughter's home address was not linked to the company only the registered address.

Comment

I would send a (record post) letter to HMRC asking if they have initiated a DCA for your details. Scammers/Hackers etc are good these days and there is the real possibility that HMRC have been hacked and personal details have been leaked from HMRC's data. Need to find this out. If they have been hacked there is a serious problem and they need to be made aware, not that they would admit they have been hacked. Remember there have been reports that Russian gangs now have 1.2 billion usernames and passwords!

Comment

They don't need to have been hacked. Registered office addresses and names of directors are in the public domain.

Comment

Working...
                    X