• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT - Only in it for the Money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT - Only in it for the Money?

Was out the other night with a colleague of mine and a bunch of ex colleagues of his and to a man, everyone round the table concurred that IT is interminably dull, we all loath our jobs and are only in it for the money.

Anyone on here fall into that category?

Yep, but I think that counts for any job. I found IT because I'm good at it and it seemed, at the time, a sure bet. Now I'm in it because I'm probably better than average and I couldn't make this much anywhere else.

I mostly enjoy my day to day work, but there's a huge list of things I'd rather do.

Comment

have you tried some of the other jobs?

All of them get to be a grind eventually, but there aren't many jobs that pay as much where you can swear at your work and get away with it. You also get respect for your skill rather than abused.

I learn something new every day and I'm in the centre of the action for most things, I get to make peoples life better without too much drama or exposure to much stupidity.

I also have a really free hand with my workload this week I went to my Daughters certificate presentation, I went to her play last week and I work from home so have lunch with my youngest. If I get bored I can post on here or do anything I want. I do big meeting in shorts & t shirt feet on the desk.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It's a lot more interesting than putting ketchup on burgers.

Most of us 'messed with computers' before we landed a job in IT.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          It's a lot more interesting than putting ketchup on burgers.

Most of us 'messed with computers' before we landed a job in IT.
          I didn't. I did one of those M.Sc. conversion courses designed for graduates from a non-computing background. At the time, ISTR, it was a toss up between that and becoming a teacher.

I've never really messed around with computers at home - some people I work with live and breathe the stuff though & they have home networks with hi-spec servers.

I guess I'm just not a geek & I'm also very much of the "a chef never cooks at home" school.

Comment

I like my job in theory. In reality 90% of clients are complete ****tards though. When I get, very occasionally, to work with a group of talented and driven guys, in an environment where the experts are left to choose the most appropriate approach so long as the product is delivered according to the client's needs, then it's great - the days fly by, I learn from the other guys, and you get the satisfaction of creating something elegant which I imagine is similar to the feeling an artist gets when they create something pretty.

Most of the time it sucks though, with senior management dictating that 'we do scrum' - when clearly they don't even have a clue what Scrum really is otherwise they'd realise that it's often entirely inappropriate for the work they're feeding us.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
              I like my job in theory.
              This sums up my feelings too.

I like coding, always have, I like finding better ways to do things, discovering new tools to do it.

Office politics, clients who struggle with what they want and when they want it and all the chaos that ensues (admittedly, this is of course good for we 'tractors) means it can have all the fun drained out of it quite often.

Comment

I would prefer working with animals than people.
                In fact there is a new Dog Trust just opened near me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu8xHTt9JUE#t=73

Comment

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
                  I didn't. I did one of those M.Sc. conversion courses designed for graduates from a non-computing background. At the time, ISTR, it was a toss up between that and becoming a teacher.
                  I know a lot of ex-teachers.

They liked the kids even the f***ing difficult ones but didn't like the politics particularly the government tulip that went with their job.

Other people I know in people orientated jobs like the majority of people they deal with but dislike the paperwork, meetings and any government policies that go with them.

I like working in IT the majority of the time - then again I flipped burgers, sold household products, worked behind a bar and did other crap jobs before I started working in IT.....
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

IT is a hobby I get paid for
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X