• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor v Temp - When the client doesn't know the difference

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor v Temp - When the client doesn't know the difference

Hi

I'm starting my new contract tomorrow down in London. I'm a little concerned however that the ClientCo doesn't really understand the difference between a contractor and a fixed term temp. Anyone faced a similar situation where the manager at ClientCo wants to micro-mange everything, expect you to play to his tune etc, and if so how you dealt with it?

I'm contracted via an agent to 40 hours per week at a flat day rate with no mention of overtime. We've agreed I can start at 1pm on Mondays and finish at lunch on Fridays making up the hours during the week, yet already I'm getting emails from the manager inviting me to meetings at 9am on Monday and when I hinted I wouldn't be available for the 6pm Friday group meeting he sounded quite off in his reply.

If I wanted to be one of the brow beaten minions I'd have stayed as a permie.

Andrew

Who's agreed? You and the agent? If that's the case it doesn't mean diddly-squat.

He'd agree to you doing his grandma if it meant you'd sign on the dotted line. Now that you have it's not his problem, he's onto the next contract to fill.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Who's agreed? You and the agent? If that's the case it doesn't mean diddly-squat.

He'd agree to you doing his grandma if it meant you'd sign on the dotted line. Now that you have it's not his problem, he's onto the next contract to fill.
      The agent agreed once he had cleared it with the hiring manager at ClientCo. Since agreeing to the contract I've since heard from two or three other contractors who have worked there saying that the manager agrees to your conditions and then once you're on site thinks of you as one of his employees and just expects you to jump through hoops to please him; even weekend meetings in London if required outside contracted hours which is a definite no from me as I have a family and we live in the North West.

Andrew

Comment

and when I hinted I wouldn't be available for the 6pm Friday group meeting he sounded quite off in his reply.
        Hinted?! I would have been down right rude brother. Friday 6pm group - WTF

This already sounds awful and you're not there yet. Get him in the office at 2pm on Monday and tell him what's what. Clear the air and get on with the work.

Comment

This won't end well.

On hours and stuff agree at meeting/interview then follow up with email for confirmation after.

Comment

Anyway, who asks contractors to a meeting at 6 on a Friday and who asks them that before their first day on site?

I suspect this one has come from historicSockieList.xls

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Anyway, who asks contractors to a meeting at 6 on a Friday and who asks them that before their first day on site?

It's not how I read it.

I read the manager is inviting the OP to meetings at 9am on Mondays and 6pm on some Fridays then expecting the OP to turn up.

Seriously you need to make it very clear at the interview stage that due to where you live unless it's an extreme emergency you won't be around from Friday pm until Monday pm. There is no need to follow it up with email confirmation as if they cause trouble or back down you leave.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Oh dear. Seen this before.

Contractor says to agent - Can you ask client if they'll go for this?
                Agent - Yes they're ok with that.

Agent in the meantime, doesnt mention a dicky bird to client cos he doesnt want to upset the applecart now the contracts signed. Of course, contractor turns up on site and its all too late then.
                Agent confident that if it all kicks off he can blag is way out of it and contractor looks bad because hes misunderstood.

Had it twice with holidays. Agent swears yes all sorted told client - get there first they've heard. Luckily never caused a problem.

Sorry mate. Client doesnt know about this and sounds like he wants you mon-fri 9-5. I cant see it ending well.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
                  The agent agreed once he had cleared it with the hiring manager at ClientCo. Since agreeing to the contract I've since heard from two or three other contractors who have worked there saying that the manager agrees to your conditions and then once you're on site thinks of you as one of his employees and just expects you to jump through hoops to please him; even weekend meetings in London if required outside contracted hours which is a definite no from me as I have a family and we live in the North West.

Andrew
                  Outside agreed hours/days tell them to get ****ed!

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

Had a client who asked me to cover 6am to 3pm one week (then 2-10 week after). Nothing in the contract about this but Hmmm OK I said. Not ideal - I lived an hour away so it was up at the crack but not the end of the world after all.

But then they decided to arrange meetings at 6pm each day and said it was compulsory for everyone. I thought that was a bit rich considering it was they're idea for these hours in the first place yet they still wanted me to stay for an extra 3-4 hours.

I wasnt popular but told them no chance.

Comment

Working...
                    X