• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best iPhone app for expense receipts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best iPhone app for expense receipts?

What iphone app do people use/recommend for capturing expense receipts? I know this has been covered before, however I was wondering what the current landscape looked like.

I've never bothered claiming for £4 worth of lunchtime sandwiches etc, thinking that the 80p was not worth the effort and inconvenience of a wallet full of scraps of paper, but if I can engage my inner geek it may be different. Every little helps.

Requirements are pretty basic: capture the details of a receipt with scan & upload later to a website or PC for entry into my SJD spreadsheet once a month, with persistent storage to answer any HMRC enquiries. Nicely structured and searchable database, the slicker the interface the better. Ease of use beats bloated functionality - won't use it for mileage or non-business expenses or income.

Looked at Fresh xPense, iReceipt Expense tracker and Shoeboxed, each of which look like they would do the job.

Any favourites?
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

I use my old flatbed scanner once a month
    Blood in your poo

Comment

capture the details of a receipt with scan & upload later to a website or PC for entry into my SJD spreadsheet once a month, with persistent storage to answer any HMRC enquiries. Nicely structured and searchable database, the slicker the interface the better.
      And all that is worth 80p a day? I would have thought a wallet full of receipts and enter to the spread sheet when you have a quiet moment would have been far easier?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm surprised HMRC allow scanned receipts.
        Scanned Receipts are easy to fake these days

Comment

Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post

No VAT number....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            No VAT number....
            Well spotted Batman,

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              And all that is worth 80p a day? I would have thought a wallet full of receipts and enter to the spread sheet when you have a quiet moment would have been far easier?
              I think it is. The receipts have to be filed in the shoebox, HMRC might want to see 'everything for June 2009', for example, 80p/day is c£160 a year, more than I get in interest on my business account. Plus I will use it for other things, evening meals etc, that I don't always expense now.

Plus I have mild Aspergers, I like this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post

Obvious fake. Cristal is like, SOOO overrated.

Comment

I don't see what the point of an app would be - you need to enter what the thing is, the date and the amount - presumably it's not smart enough to glean that from a receipt automatically?

And as has been said, you need to keep the real ones for 5 years anyway.

Do SJD make you send the scans? Nixon Williams don't (unless it's for stuff purchased off the company card)

As for the bottle of champagne - at 6AM, was that being consumed at a remote site?

Even 80p is worth a can of coke with your lunch.
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                    I don't see what the point of an app would be - you need to enter what the thing is, the date and the amount - presumably it's not smart enough to glean that from a receipt automatically?
                    Some are, although with mixed results I'm sure.

And as has been said, you need to keep the real ones for 5 years anyway.
                    No you don't. Scans are all you need. You're free to bin the originals. There are very few things HMRC require originals of these days. They have a list on their website of what you need to keep originals of. Receipts is not one of them.

This has been the case for years now.

The most notable thing you need to keep originals of is dividend vouchers although it's worth noting that if the original format was a PDF then that's all you need. You don't need to print them.
                    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 28 July 2014, 19:18.

Comment

Working...
                    X