• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Personal shopping services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal shopping services

Has anyone ever used these?

Not a big fan of shopping and owing to distinct lack of wardrobe (worked in the city previously so only needed suits and occasional casual stuff for weekend, now working in less formal environment) need to buy some more clothes.

Was thinking I could pop over to the smoke ( cloggy fashion leaves a lot to be desired) and avail of someone to do all the legwork for me.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Another idea maybe. John Lewis deliver to cloggland.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      Has anyone ever used these?

Not a big fan of shopping and owing to distinct lack of wardrobe (worked in the city previously so only needed suits and occasional casual stuff for weekend, now working in less formal environment) need to buy some more clothes.

Was thinking I could pop over to the smoke ( cloggy fashion leaves a lot to be desired) and avail of someone to do all the legwork for me.
      Mrs B has used them a couple of times and found them really good. I guess it depends on the actual 'shopper' you get but she ended up with a load of stuff she would never even have looked at herself but was actually really happy with.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        Another idea maybe. John Lewis deliver to cloggland.
        I know, I've ordered stuff from them for the new house.

Thing is I need a work and casual wardrobe, I hate clothes shopping and would prefer someone who is competent enough to put together stuff for me, rather than me doing my usual and buying random stuff none of which matches anything.

So if any has used the likes of selfridges or harvey nicks or any other shop, it would be good to know.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Yes, I hate shopping.

I had 2 services:
          1. She came to my house and we went through the wardrobe filled about 3 bin bags and wrote a list of Must Haves & Nice to Haves and budget, this took about 3 hours.

2. Drive in her Beamer over to Westfields get the collection service ticket (was ~£7 - means you pick up all the shopping in the carpark at the end). Headed for the big department stpres, quick word with the women on the changing room, set up 3 changing rooms; one for me one for ready outfits and one WIP she and the sales assistants use to construct.

Got everything I needed hassle free and dropped at my door at the end of the day, done it twice now and will do it again when everything has holes in.

I paid ~£50 phour and was worth it.

Contrast with a friend of mine got drunk on the cheap chmpagne at Selfridges, bought everything they offered and sent wifey back the next day to return

OR my friend will do individual outfits for events.

Comment

To take this to the next level - have beent hinking about this longer term - get stuff made.

Once they have your measurements, you pick the frock and they make it. Quite a few start ups doing this now. I saw one in Canary Wharf knocking out frocks to TV presenters £200 a pop, about 8 differnt designs. If you get 5 and a couple of matching jackets what more do you need?

But then I do have the shoulders of a rugby prop ....

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
              To take this to the next level - have beent hinking about this longer term - get stuff made.

Once they have your measurements, you pick the frock and they make it. Quite a few start ups doing this now. I saw one in Canary Wharf knocking out frocks to TV presenters £200 a pop, about 8 differnt designs. If you get 5 and a couple of matching jackets what more do you need?

But then I do have the shoulders of a rugby prop ....
              The term you're looking for is 'musculine'

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                The term you're looking for is 'musculine'
                Is that 'cause 'munter' is banned?

Comment

Mrs Kevpuk tried a Debenhams personal shopper once, warily, and actually came out thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread.
                  Nothing more to see here
                  latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                    Yes, I hate shopping.

I had 2 services:
                    1. She came to my house and we went through the wardrobe filled about 3 bin bags and wrote a list of Must Haves & Nice to Haves and budget, this took about 3 hours.

2. Drive in her Beamer over to Westfields get the collection service ticket (was ~£7 - means you pick up all the shopping in the carpark at the end). Headed for the big department stpres, quick word with the women on the changing room, set up 3 changing rooms; one for me one for ready outfits and one WIP she and the sales assistants use to construct.

Got everything I needed hassle free and dropped at my door at the end of the day, done it twice now and will do it again when everything has holes in.

I paid ~£50 phour and was worth it.

Contrast with a friend of mine got drunk on the cheap chmpagne at Selfridges, bought everything they offered and sent wifey back the next day to return

OR my friend will do individual outfits for events.
                    Suits I'm sorted for, working in the city for 16 years I have a pretty good formal wardrobe. So not much to add to that wardrobe. Possibly one or two things, but I either go to Hobbs or something from Paul Smith.

If someone came and did a clearout they'd be lucky to fill one bin bag, I have feck all clothes, seriously.

I need to do all this on a weekend in the smoke, so anything that needs adjusting can be done in cloggers.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X