• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Very low (2.5%) inflation under New Labour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very low (2.5%) inflation under New Labour

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5315890.stm

Higher fuel prices mean the cost of keeping a car on the road rose by 7.2% in the past year, research suggests.
    Sainsbury's Bank said the average cost of running a car for a year rose to £2,202 in August from £2,053 last year.

Rising fuel costs were behind the bulk of the increase, climbing 11% compared with 2005 to £1,226, driven by record crude oil prices.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5310706.stm

Millions of UK homes are facing higher gas and electricity bills as the latest price increases from British Gas have come into effect.
    British Gas owner Centrica first announced the rises in July, with gas bills up by 12.4% and electricity bills rising 9.4%.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4801237.stm

Energy company Powergen has said it is putting up its gas and electricity prices for the second time this year.
    The company's domestic gas prices will go up by 18.4% and its electricity prices by 9.7% from 21 August.

It blamed the latest move on the rising wholesale cost of gas which it said had climbed 87% since the start of 2005.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5300930.stm

Car insurance costs look set to rise following a move by Norwich Union, the UK's second largest car insurer, to raise its rates by an average of 16%.

And then there's rising mortgage costs to consider.

Originally posted by DimPrawn
    And then there's rising mortgage costs to consider.
    No there isn't!!!

Comment

I think we're quite privilidged really ! it's an honour to live under such conditions !

<or at least thats what the gov want you say>

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
        No there isn't!!!
        My mortgage costs me £11/month (how much is your rent?) so I'm not affected by mortgage inflation, but all the other day to day costs are rising massively and yet inflation never seems to move from about 2%, which funny enough is the New Lie target.

Comment

thats the CPI for ya...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

why have an £11 per month mortgage ? why not just pay it off ?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
              My mortgage costs me £11/month (how much is your rent?)
              It seems like the amount of morgage that you have is next to zero, why did you not you pay it off? I am about to renew rent contract for 12 months, it better not have any price increases - I think I got upper hand in it, but will see in a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                It seems like the amount of morgage that you have is next to zero, why did you not you pay it off? I am about to renew rent contract for 12 months, it better not have any price increases - I think I got upper hand in it, but will see in a few days.
                You high-flying deal-maker, you
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                  You high-flying deal-maker, you
                  Yes - you would not believe how quick and successful it is to negotiate while wearing a jacket with s3mt3x in it...

Comment

Originally posted by Andyw
                    why have an £11 per month mortgage ? why not just pay it off ?
                    It gives me an instant facility to draw up to £250K in equity via cheque or credit card (The One Account), which I use to buy property abroad.

It saves paying a solicitor to look after the title deeds.

Comment

Working...
                    X