• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bloody trains

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody trains

Ok, booking ticket for early morning travel in a few days, not to London thankfully: day saver return is ~60 quid, but you can buy 2 singles for the same day for the times I need - very early morning, reasonably after 7pm return and it costs 22 quid, wtf?

Christ Alexi !

Do you do anything at all other than post on this board 24x7 ?

Anyway. How can you go on a train and be assured you will still be able to post without interruption?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
      Ok, booking ticket for early morning travel in a few days, not to London thankfully: day saver return is ~60 quid, but you can buy 2 singles for the same day for the times I need - very early morning, reasonably after 7pm return and it costs 22 quid, wtf?
      I don’t understand why all the ticket prices are so cheep. Have they quoted you seconded class instead of first class by mistake?
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

No one in the company that I own will ever travel in the 1st class at company's cost - especially on airplanes. That is unless they issue parachutes in the 1st class.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          No one in the company that I own will ever travel in the 1st class at company's cost - especially on airplanes. That is unless they issue parachutes in the 1st class.
          Given you aeroplane phobia don't you think it would be wise to check up the safety record of trains. Much worse overall.....

You're right about the freaking cost. From my local station to Paddinton at peak time (i.e. arriving before 11.00 or departing between 4 and 7.30 pm) it works out at £142 round trip. Given its only a 300 mile round trip that ain't exactly cheap. Even when I can book it 3 weeks in advance it is still normally 120 quid.

Comment

http://www.megatrain.com/

Prices from £1.00
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy

Prices from £1.00
              Nice as long as AtW is hoping to go to Bournemouth or Southampton as they are the only destinations available from the Soviet Republic of Birmingham.

Comment

Not so "mega" afterall!

ASB: trains in this country are not ideal as they rely too much on electricity, I think tracks are live conductor so being fried is not good perspective, but its hell a lot of better than plunging down from 30k ft with a few minutes to think it all over and desperately trying to wake up.

The funny thing about rip off prices is that train regulator knows they are rip off, and requires companies make certain number of cheap tickets available - these tickets (that I purchased) see now to be mainly singles defying old logic that return is better than two singles. Of course they are more restricted timewise but not off peak only, just exact time, which is fair enough given they are 3 times cheaper.

Of course companies don't like it and make up for lost profits from customers who don't know about singels and buy based on habit: day return ticket please - that's 60 quid rather than 22.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy

Prices from £1.00
                  Tried them. They can get from where I don't want to go (although I could get there) at a time I don;t want to go at

Admittedly cheaply though.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                    Not so "mega" afterall!

ASB: trains in this country are not ideal as they rely too much on electricity, I think tracks are live conductor so being fried is not good perspective, but its hell a lot of better than plunging down from 30k ft with a few minutes to think it all over and desperately trying to wake up.

The funny thing about rip off prices is that train regulator knows they are rip off, and requires companies make certain number of cheap tickets available - these tickets (that I purchased) see now to be mainly singles defying old logic that return is better than two singles. Of course they are more restricted timewise but not off peak only, just exact time, which is fair enough given they are 3 times cheaper.

Of course companies don't like it and make up for lost profits from customers who don't know about singels and buy based on habit: day return ticket please - that's 60 quid rather than 22.
                    AtW. Oddly enough I do know how the ticketing system works. All of "theTrainLine" derivitives do encourage you to check two single.

I also understand the specific train thing. But actually getting one of the tickets is a pain in the bum.

Try to get to london before 10.30 from the west is difficult unless you take a specfic train at 59.50 (if you are lucky enough to be able to book 2 months ahead there is a 49.50 ticket pops up every now and again).

Ok, it's better than the 70.50 open ticket but still bloody expensive for what you get.

Comment

Working...
                    X