• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Desktop Recommendations please ....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Desktop Recommendations please ....

The time has come to retire my desktop and bite the bullet, the old Acer is limping along now but it is over 6 yrs old. DVD player has gone kaput and the fan sounds like the cat is caught in it.

I use it mostly for usual business apps, not development but a lot of complex Word docs with embedded diagrams and stuff, graphics stuff inc Visio, lots of photo editing and some video editing and a good bit of gaming inc EQ2 and EVE.

Don't really enjoy the PC World/Dell experience lol and I have heard that Chilli stuff is good but that's about as up on it as I am so any recommendations please?

iMac

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      iMac
      Never

Comment

Do lots of research, know your budget, know what you need to do and build your own.

I've been doing this since 1997, never bought pre-made desktops.

Or try this as a half way house.

My main parts supplier over the last decade has been Scan
        Last edited by Scrag Meister; 30 July 2014, 07:24.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Build your own like a pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq-zqQiY-OA

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
            Do lots of research, know your budget, know what you need to do and build your own.

I've been doing this since 1997, never bought pre-made desktops.

Or try this as a half way house.

My main parts supplier over the last decade has been Scan
            Scan is a Bob Shop! Stood waiting in their three queue system many times one to order one to pay and one to collect. All within sight of The Stadium Formerly Known As The Reebok...

Comment

Please, please, please....no more build your own recommendations.

I do not want to build my own, not like a pro, not like an amateur and in case it's not clear, I do not want to build my own

I guess Chilli and PCSpecalist are the best options so far.

And aren't scan the perennial phoenix who rise each time they ruin their rep? ISTR an outfit in Wigan that regularly did that, may not be the same people though but the ones that I remember had lots of dissatisfied customers.
              Last edited by tractor; 30 July 2014, 10:15. Reason: s

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                Please, please, please....no more build your own recommendations.

I do not want to build my own, not like a pro, not like an amateur and in case it's not clear, I do not want to build my own

I guess Chilli and PCSpecalist are the best options so far.

And aren't scan the perennial phoenix who rise each time they ruin their rep? ISTR an outfit in Wigan that regularly did that, may not be the same people though but the ones that I remember had lots of dissatisfied customers.
                I've bought stuff from scan for 18 years. Never had a problem with them.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The last two desktops I bought were from Dell. Fairly entry level with an upgraded video card but I don't really play games hard. Oddly enough my DVD writer gave up the ghost two weeks ago as well so will be looking around again soon but haven't had a sniff of a problem with a Dell in over 8 years. It will be the first stop on my list when I start looking again.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Overclockers.

Mr C bought one from them a couple of years ago and is very happy with it (the hardware at least, he hates Win8.1).
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X