• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (Basic Level)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security Clearance (Basic Level)

Hi. I've been offered a very good role with a public sector organsiation for which SC is required. As I dont already have SC, the organisation was willing to act as a sponsor and the process started just over 3 weeks ago. However, the process is still ongoing and I'm a bit concerned that in the interim I'm turning-down interviews for other roles. Does anyone ow what specifically is involved in getting SC at a Basic level please? Is it mostly around criminal records and identity checks for example? I dont know of any reason why I wouldn't get SC but, not knowing the full criteria, I'm concerned that there may in fact be something that might cause me not to get it!

Very grateful for any input on this please. Thanks!

It's lucky SC or BC doesn't include a tick box asking if you are lazy and feckless isn't it.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...questions.html

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=SC...IAw&gws_rd=ssl
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Is that the check for counter terrorist threat or the actual SC-level check you're having done?

I started working on site prior to even applying for CTT. This meant I was restricted to working on a development system (I'm a programmer), but other than that I was able to work and bill, bill and work.

CTT took a small number of weeks to come through. I applied at the same time as a two Moslems (one just arrived in the UK from Turkey) and thought, snidely, "I'll be first to get mine" but I was actually last, so go figure.

SC-level clearance I applied for later; months later in fact, after which I could access pre-prod and live date. This took a long time because there was a problem (public sector incompetence - I have a common name, someone else with the same name applied, so my application was considered a duplicate and binned), so I cannot be sure how long it took because I don't know when they realised their mistake.

One word of caution that is probably too late for you now. Make your role as generic as possible on your application. I returned to the client on a different role and had to reapply for clearance because my role was no longer ABC it was now ABCD. If I'd just said IT consultant I could have got away with not reapplying.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeppelin View Post
        Hi. I've been offered a very good role with a public sector organsiation for which SC is required. As I dont already have SC, the organisation was willing to act as a sponsor and the process started just over 3 weeks ago. However, the process is still ongoing and I'm a bit concerned that in the interim I'm turning-down interviews for other roles. Does anyone ow what specifically is involved in getting SC at a Basic level please? Is it mostly around criminal records and identity checks for example? I dont know of any reason why I wouldn't get SC but, not knowing the full criteria, I'm concerned that there may in fact be something that might cause me not to get it!

Very grateful for any input on this please. Thanks!
        SC probably about 6 weeks unless fast tracked, just to manage your expectations a little August is not a particularly productive time in the public sector

Comment

SC clearance can take as little as 7-10 days from completing the BPSS, getting your portal access and processing the application. What you need to ensure is that you have all the dates and answers to the questions about your previous roles, addresses and family in advance, so that when you fill out the BPSS and on the portal there are no delays.
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

You're doing nothing but muddying the waters. You don't apply, unless yourco site is list-x. It is your client who applies, you just fill the forms in. It's CTC btw, not CTT and "basic" SC is anything but.

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
            Is that the check for counter terrorist threat or the actual SC-level check you're having done?

I started working on site prior to even applying for CTT. This meant I was restricted to working on a development system (I'm a programmer), but other than that I was able to work and bill, bill and work.

CTT took a small number of weeks to come through. I applied at the same time as a two Moslems (one just arrived in the UK from Turkey) and thought, snidely, "I'll be first to get mine" but I was actually last, so go figure.

SC-level clearance I applied for later; months later in fact, after which I could access pre-prod and live date. This took a long time because there was a problem (public sector incompetence - I have a common name, someone else with the same name applied, so my application was considered a duplicate and binned), so I cannot be sure how long it took because I don't know when they realised their mistake.

One word of caution that is probably too late for you now. Make your role as generic as possible on your application. I returned to the client on a different role and had to reapply for clearance because my role was no longer ABC it was now ABCD. If I'd just said IT consultant I could have got away with not reapplying.

Comment

I was SC cleared a few years back as a permie. It took a while but I think that was because everything was going though logica (who we were subcontracted through). It sounds as though it can happen a lot quicker normally though.

We had contractors in at the time who sat at a desk and read books for nearly 3 months before they got clearance and were allowed to start any development.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think I've inadvertently misled the forum through using the wrong terminology. So far as I understand it, all I need to satisfy the criteria for is BPSS and so not a security check at all as such, or so I gather from the links above. The process in being undertaken through the Disclosure & Barring Service. Apologies for my misunderstanding although as much as anything, I'd value knowing how long the process will take every bit as much as what it actually involves.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X