• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Income Tax Query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Income Tax Query

Hi

If this is not the correct forum the please point to the correct one.

Following the submission of my last personal tax return the HRMC response was to include an assessment of savings they believed I might have.

So how do I respond to HMRC? How do I prove to them that I do not have something (these mysterious savings)?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by sooty99 View Post
    Hi

Following the submission of my last personal tax return the HRMC response was to include an assessment of savings they believed I might have.

So how do I respond to HMRC? How do I prove to them that I do not have something (these mysterious savings)?

Thanks in advance.
    Just ask them what savings they're referring to - they're not infallible so it may just be a mistake
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Hi

Thanks in advance.
      Write to them and inform them that they have made an error?

Better still, call them and ask them what savings they think you may have. Quantifying and qualifying the problem would help immensely.

Comment

Hi

Thanks in advance.
        Hi Sooty99

As others have said, definitely give HMRC a call and ask them where the figures come from.

Just as pure speculation, you didn't receive any PPI compensation in the year in question did you? This often comes with an interest payment that needs to be declared and it's surprising how many clients forget about this until questioned specifically on it.

Hope this helps.

Martin
        Contratax Ltd

Comment

The 8% simple interest, that is.

Comment

Working...
          X