• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Help" Traveling on 2 Passports?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Help" Traveling on 2 Passports?

No I'm not a spy. But my wife is Chinese with a British passport and wants to go to Australia on her uk passport then go to china on her chinese passport and finally return to uk under her British passport.
    Can this be done?

Plan A:

Chinese Wife leaves UK under UK passport
    and Enters Australia on UK passport.

Chinese Wife leaves Australia under Chinese passport
    And enters China on Chinese passport

Chinese Wife leaves China under Chinese Passport
    And enters UK with original UK passport

Plan B:

Chinese Wife leaves Australia under UK passport

Chinese Wife leaves China under UK Passport

(Note Chinese passport has UK visa in it)

Unfortunately, neither plan will work. Each leg of a journey must be travelled on one passport (although different passports can be used for different legs), so Plan A Leg 3 is not possible, and Plan B Leg 2 is not possible.

Also, a particular country's passport must always be used to enter that country (not an issue with either plan).

How to Travel with Two Passports - Style Hi Club
    Step by Step Guide to Traveling with Two Passports - Style Hi Club

Edited to add the following....

I would suggest this:

Last edited by greenlake; 1 August 2014, 22:25.

Comment

Plan A
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
        Unfortunately, neither plan will work. Each leg of a journey must be travelled on one passport (although different passports can be used for different legs), so Plan A Leg 3 is not possible, and Plan B Leg 2 is not possible.

Also, a particular country's passport must always be used to enter that country (not an issue with either plan).

How to Travel with Two Passports - Style Hi Club
        Step by Step Guide to Traveling with Two Passports - Style Hi Club

Edited to add the following....

I would suggest this:

According to your second link, it's slightly more complicated. To take the "leaving Australia" bit as an example, it would have to be broken down into:
        • Book travel from Australia to China using Chinese passport;
        • Check in for journey to China using Chinese passport;
        • At Australian immigration exit check, present UK passport that was originally used to enter the country.

Otherwise the immigration entry and exit records won't match up, and they'll either want to know how she comes to be there in the first place as there's no record of her arrival, or in a few years she'll try to enter Australia again and they'll want to know why there's no record of her leaving the previous time.

Similarly for China to UK, but with the Chinese and UK passports swapped around.

I think

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          According to your second link, it's slightly more complicated. To take the "leaving Australia" bit as an example, it would have to be broken down into:
          • Book travel from Australia to China using Chinese passport;
          • Check in for journey to China using Chinese passport;
          • At Australian immigration exit check, present UK passport that was originally used to enter the country.

Otherwise the immigration entry and exit records won't match up, and they'll either want to know how she comes to be there in the first place as there's no record of her arrival, or in a few years she'll try to enter Australia again and they'll want to know why there's no record of her leaving the previous time.

Similarly for China to UK, but with the Chinese and UK passports swapped around.

I think
          This. You need to get scanned/stamped out on the one you went in on.

Comment

China doesn't allow dual citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              China doesn't allow dual citizenship.
              This is case with many countries. It only affects people if they're caught.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                This is case with many countries. It only affects people if they're caught.
                Which might happen to the op's wife if she gets searched.

Also does she need a visa to travel to Oz normally on a Chinese passport?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Which might happen to the op's wife if she gets searched.

Also does she need a visa to travel to Oz normally on a Chinese passport?
                  Every thought of using Google?

For example this page

Says:
                  China doesn’t recognise dual nationality. If you enter China on a Chinese passport or identity card, the British Embassy may not be able to offer consular assistance. Any person born in China to a Chinese national parent will be considered by the Chinese authorities to have Chinese nationality. Travellers holding British passports who also hold Chinese citizenship may be regarded by the Chinese authorities as a Chinese citizen, even if you travel to China on a British passport. If you have formally renounced Chinese citizenship, you should carry clear evidence that you have done so.
                  In short it doesn't matter what passport she travels to China on - she is still Chinese to the Chinese authorities. So she may as well make it easier for herself and do what is already been suggested.
                  Last edited by SueEllen; 2 August 2014, 20:27.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

I had that once in Malta.

On entry they put the stamp in the middle of some others, not on the next blank page.

On exit they couldn't find the matching entry stamp and got suspicious that I had entered illegally.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X