• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offshore staff being shipped in to the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offshore staff being shipped in to the UK

I am contracting for a big company in the UK (I won't say which). And they seem to be constantly bringing in staff from offshore. How do they get away with it? There is no shortage of British workers. Apologies if this has been asked/answered before.

Use the search function or search this site from google.

Then you will find lots of threads on this subject.

If you don't like and don't feel there is a skills shortage and run your own limited then you are welcome to contribute to this
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'd name them. They don't deserve anonymity.

Comment

IBM still use ICT's
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Use the search function or search this site from google.

Then you will find lots of threads on this subject.

If you don't like and don't feel there is a skills shortage and run your own limited then you are welcome to contribute to this
          Are you NLUK? Someone asks a question and you go off the deep end as their post count is 1. Trying to intimidate the noobs? Pick on someone with your own post count.

To the OP, its legal. But shows how much the government hates IT.

Tough call for me though. I work on a team of 8. 6 are Indian. 2 of those are ICT. The quality is amazingly good. And they are great people to work with. I should show loyalty to the UK - but the UK has treated me like dirt and is going downhill. I have told my kids to get jobs in which they can emigrate.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Are you NLUK? Someone asks a question and you go off the deep end as their post count is 1. Trying to intimidate the noobs? Pick on someone with your own post count.
            Nope.

I pointing out this person can actually help the situation, or did you not bother to click on my link?
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Nope.

I pointing out this person can actually help the situation, or did you not bother to click on my link?

I totally apologize. I will let my post stand as a monument to my stupidity - unless you want to to correct it?

Comment

I sometimes check out job board in Oz and NZ and yup, Recuiters there offering jobs in the UK. There are plenty of under-employed and unemployed IT bots in the UK (I am one of them).

Thing is I think half the ads for jobs in the UK are fake, the other have are just "paper" to show they "tried to hire" someone with 50 required skills and 20 years experience to work at £25K/yr.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Companies want cheap labour and expanding the workforce does this. Same thing happened in the building industry with EU expansion (although admittedly the government had no choice with that if they wanted to stay in the EU).

I get the impression the government want to stay in India's good books on an attempt to increase exports but it doesn't seem to be working out that way.

For what it's worth I have found Indians fairly similar to anyone else in IT in that the contractors are quite good but those working for the consultancies lack initiative.

Comment

Thanks for the replies . I'm a noob but old and not intimidated
                    I'm sure the Indians are all great but they are here because they are cheap not because there is a skill shortage and the client should not be able to ship 'em in so easily with so many locals out of work .

Comment

Working...
                    X