• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Raising Invoice for a Date before Company was formed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raising Invoice for a Date before Company was formed

Hello Experts,

I work as a freelancer and use an Umbrella company for my accounting needs. Last week I have floated my own Limited Company and in the course of the next two months or so I wish to start working through my own Limited Company.

I did a 2 day freelancing work in middle of July. The Limited Company was formed only in the last week of July. My question is, can I raise an invoice for the 2 day work through my Limited Company? At the time the service was provided, the Limited Company did not exist. So is it legal to invoice the client through the Limited Company now that it exists?

Thanks for your inputs in advance.

Originally posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Hello Experts,

I work as a freelancer and use an Umbrella company for my accounting needs. Last week I have floated my own Limited Company and in the course of the next two months or so I wish to start working through my own Limited Company.

I did a 2 day freelancing work in middle of July. The Limited Company was formed only in the last week of July. My question is, can I raise an invoice for the 2 day work through my Limited Company? At the time the service was provided, the Limited Company did not exist. So is it legal to invoice the client through the Limited Company now that it exists?

It would be best to ask your accountant but I wouldn't think you would be able to invoice before date of incorporation.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
      Hello Experts,

What he said.

All I could find was this which indicates that as long as the invoice date is post incorporation, you are ok.

Comment

Assuming you're not working 7 days a week, every week, just add the 2 days onto your next/first invoice.

You don't need to specify working dates on the invoice, your invoice line would just say 2 x Professional Days Consultancy and the invoice date is after your company incorporation.

Comment

What everyone else said. Your invoice can't predate your company formation but your invoice date can be whatever day you happen to raise it post formation. It doesn't matter that the actual service was delivered before incorporation. As long as your client is happy to be billed by YourCo and I'm also assuming you've sorted out contracts between YourCo and ClientCo, then just include the days on your first invoice.

Comment

Thanks a lot

Thank you so much. As a beginner, all your inputs were extremely valuable to me.

Comment

Working...
            X